1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

relays on the NAC72 main board

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by coltrane, May 16, 2019.

1. coltrane

coltrane electrobaroCKjazzer

hi lads, I wonder why there're those 2 relays on the main PCB in the 72? to note, I'm not referring to the lone one on the 325 card but, rather, the two that sit on the daughterboard, one behind the front source selector switch 'head', and the other that's on the right of the other selector switch part at the back of the PCB, close to the inputs. also, can those be by-passed without a penalty to gain better sonics? I'm really interested in lil' mods like removing - along with the other non-used ones - the 325 board (I know-I know, I MUST be VERY careful not to forget to switch on and off the PSU and amp in the right order to avoid blowing the speakers) and by-passing the pins that already resulted in an easily perceptible, more transparent sound - so this is why I'm asking. experts, please advise. thanks :)

2. hp1

hp1 pfm Member

one is for the mono and the other is for the tape monitor.

coltrane likes this.
  3. coltrane

coltrane electrobaroCKjazzer

oh, I see - many thanks. then they'll surely stay :cool:

4. wd40addict

wd40addict Member

NAC72 doesn't have a mono function!

5. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

They’re the tape output relays. Because it has two tape I/O sockets it has to mute the one you select the input on so that you don’t get howl-round. Also, the monitor switch only ever connects tape1 unless you select tape1 as the source, where it selects tape2 instead.

6. hp1

hp1 pfm Member

Sorry I meant to say mute instead of mono but Mark is correct anyway.