1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Remainers for No Deal

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Seanm, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Brian and maxflinn like this.
  2. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

“The key point is that the Tories will vote against any kind of soft Brexit”

Presumably those would be the same Tories that have already voted against no deal.

3. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

No, ERG types: nothing other than no deal now acceptable.

4. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

They don’t hold enough votes to force through a no deal Brexit - which is why there are stories of Johnson holding an election -after- we’ve left should be lose a vote of no confidence before we leave. If he does that, and it’s proved to be constitutionally valid, then we’re out without a deal.

There’s always the possibility that Labour could form a minority government should Johnson lose a VONC, but that would be highly unstable and I’d doubt if he could get any Brexit legislation through the Commons.

5. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

Some of us have been saying this for months:

If parliament does vote against No Deal every Remainer in the subsequent General Election has to vote tactically.
    It means in England voting for LibDem candidates in LibDem/Tory marginals, but it also means voting for Labour candidates in Lab/Con marginals. That is the only clear way a Johnson victory can be stopped. It doesn’t even matter if the Labour MP is pro-Brexit, because every Labour MP deprives the Conservatives of government.

6. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

Does anyone know if there is a website, a group or whatever dedicated to informing people which MP they'll need to vote for in which seats in order to stop a Tory no deal Brexit government at the upcoming (which it is) GE?

There should be..

Jamie likes this.
  7. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Traditionally only about 10% of the electorate votes tactically, or so they say. Yes there is a group focussed on doing this in the 100 marginals.

Snufkin and maxflinn like this.
  8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Perhaps not, but it’s a helpful take all the same. It’s a touch counterintuitive, and I freely admit the thought that Brexit was impossible under Labour was one that hadn’t occurred to me. So those of you for whom this is obvious might want to think about making it more widely known among those of us for whom it isn’t.

9. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

BREXIT IS CHUFFIN’ IMPOSSIBLE UNDER LABOUR!!!!!!!!!!

Howzat?

10. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Absolutely spot on but it can be repeated as many times as you like and I doubt it will be understood by hard-remainers.

So every Remainer telling you that you cannot vote Labour is telling you to vote for a No Deal outcome. Everyone who says you cannot vote for Labour because “Corbyn is evil” in various ways is telling you to vote for a No Deal outcome. Everyone telling you that you cannot vote Labour because Labour “is an antisemitic party” is telling you to vote for No Deal.

11. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Out!

12. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

The chances are by the time the next election comes we’ll already be out. Unless of course a VONC is followed by a temporary ‘unity’ government - Labour don’t have the numbers to do anything by themselves.

jackbarron likes this.
  13. Romulus

Romulus pfm Member

For me Tory vote is extreme Brexit Vote and a labour vote is a vote for Corbyn (I do not care if he is remainer or brexiteer) he is a radical cynical politician and I just do not trust him in regard to majority of issues. So its the Lib/Dem for me who have been expressive remainers from the onset and have never waivered. A vote for Tory or Labour is deciding two evils which UK does not deserve....

14. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

A vote for the left of centre candidate most likely to out the Tory. Worry about sorting anything else out at the next election.

sean99, MikeMA, TheDecameron and 2 others like this.
  15. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

This.

Always this.

In fact, bugger the ‘left of centre’ requirement, anybody to the left of the Tories if it’s them who stands a chance of ousting them from a seat will do it for me, for now at least.

MikeMA, TheDecameron and ks.234 like this.
  16. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

You’re a Thatcherite then?

[​IMG]

17. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Glad we agree on something.

SteveS1 likes this.
  18. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

When leftists talk about the constraints that politicians are obliged to acknowledge, or the necessity of adopting a nuanced position, people suspect sophistry. Wren-Lewis is centre-left (supported Owen Smith in the last leadership election), a thoroughly reasonable type, and an educated man your honour. Thought there might be less talk of 5D chess if it came from him.

19. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

I'm also partial to an occasional Guinness.

Brian likes this.
  20. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Corbyn is a Brexiteer and Labour plan to leave the EU. That's what the public needs to know.

This is why I'll vote Green.

Corbyn has had three years to sort this out and the ****er still hasn't.

He is so determined to have Brexit that if Labour get into power, and he negotiates a deal, there will not be no referendum with a Remain option.

A number of journalists have tried to get him to deny this and he refuses to.

Jack

Wolfmancatsup likes this.