1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Remainers for No Deal

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Seanm, Aug 10, 2019.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

if you were a newbie, this nonsense could be overlooked. if i had to pick the last person in the world to ever do what you're suggesting, it would probably be sean.

fwiw: my sophisticated psychoanalytic interpretation of your reaction and words is that the strength of his arguments on labour (and brexit) make you feel unconsciously/symbolically/intellectually like his little bitch.

2. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

Indeed..

3. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Good luck to Lucas, at least she is trying to deliver a fresh referendum. All Labour can do is say they won't back a replacement government not led by Corbyn.

"Lucas, who is understood to have begun talks with the women she has addressed in her open letter, sent the offer to Thornberry, Swinson, Greening and Sturgeon, as well as the Change UK MP Anna Soubry, the independent MP Heidi Allen, the SNP’s Kirsty Blackman, the independent Northern Irish MP Sylvia Hermon and Plaid Cymru’s Liz Saville Roberts.

"The final MP who has been approached is Yvette Cooper, one of the leading Labour figures coordinating efforts to stop no deal, but the only one of the addressees who has not explicitly endorsed a second referendum herself."

Diane Abbott hasn't been overlooked because she is black. It has no doubt got something to do with her refusing to take part in a provisional government not led by fence splitter Corbyn.

Jack

ks.234 and Still like this.
  4. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

On a quick skim of the article it does appear radically stupid as well as very sexist. No idea how that article actually relates to what she said of course, as I'd trust the Guardian about as much as I'd trust the Sun or the Mirror these days.

5. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Did you get it ks.234?

What usually happens when you ask ignorant questions?

Indicative of more intellectual malaise. hth:

Marx and Feminism: https://www.triple-c.at/index.php/tripleC/article/view/1004

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  6. Romulus

Romulus pfm Member

She was not everybody's cup of tea, but defnitely one of the best effective politicians on foreign policy matters.

7. Still

For some unconscious misogynists she was the wrong sort of woman to be 1st UK PM.
    Presumably LP will have a women leading at some point in the future.

8. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

1) There are far too many statues already.

2) The statue as depicted in the newspaper is absolutely hideous. It looks like the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night and Maggie T came downstairs in her nightie.

3) If erected, the statue would be the subject of vandalism/destruction from day one.

4) There are plenty of other female role models to choose from, but see 1).

Brian and ks.234 like this.
  9. Still

Not of women parliamentarians.

Only one other woman ex PM. Anyone for a Theresa May statue?

10. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

[​IMG]

Still and Joe Hutch like this.
  11. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

12. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

And so they should. Lucas is talking tripe if the report is true.

I wouldn’t care to see any of that bunch in a ‘provisional govt’.

What we need is a GE.

13. Still

“My feminist heart sings” – Scottish Jo Swinson Wins the Race for LibDem Party Leadership

https://fnf-europe.org/2019/07/25/m...on-wins-the-race-for-libdem-party-presidency/

14. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

This seems like a cunning plan, and d'ya know, it might just work. I like it.

jackbarron likes this.
  15. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I’ve found that this kind of thing makes a lot more sense if understood not as a serious proposal but as a way for small parties to generate media attention. All the government of national unity stuff belongs in this category, as does the Lib Dems’ “We’ll stop Brexit” schtick. On this level it’s all been pretty successful and you can hardly blame these parties for making the most of the few opportunities the system makes available to them. It’s just not really any help if your priority is preventing no deal Brexit.

16. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

17. Still

Possibly you've not done the necessary research.
    J.S. is definitely planning to change inequality of the sexes for a start.

blossomchris likes this.
  18. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

A good point well made by Simon Wren-Lewis. However not at all clearly made by Labour themselves (or their more vocal supporters_, hence the collapse in Labour's polling.
    While I agree tactical voting is a must to defend against the Tories and Farage there will be many constituencies where it's not clear whether Labour or Lib Dem are the better bet to defeat the the far right, especially given Labour's falling polling numbers. Would be ideal if Labour and Lib Dem worked together in the face of the Tories and Brexit Party coordinating.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

So, to recap: archaic party with a 100 year succession of male, pale and stale leaders accuses party with female leader of “not being feminist enough”...

Still likes this.
  20. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

So how would you suggest parliament prevents a no deal Brexit?