1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Remainers for No Deal

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Seanm, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

^I distinctly remember seanm saying that there was no point in worrying about a no-deal Brexit as it was just a bluff. Is that still your position now Sean?

2. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

Bojo says it’s a one in a million chance. I am sure he is a man who is prepared to put his money where his mouth is so I will post him a tenner, and expect a ten million pound dividend if no deal eventuates.

3. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

[​IMG]

andrewd and Weekender like this.
  4. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

..”million to one chances happen nine times out of ten”

5. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Re-educate Leavers in Skegness gulags then deport

Better questions for a better Britain

1. How would you prevent Brexit?
    2. How would you use the prevention of Brexit to get the Conservative party to tear itself apart?
    3. How would you use the prevention of Brexit to get the Labour party to tear itself apart?
    4. What kind of proportional representation would you use to change party politics in the UK?
    5. What legislation is required to ensure truth-telling and rectitude in politicians and the press in the future?

(20 marks for this section)

6. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

No, not at all, just someone who has a voting record that shows that she’s voted for austerity, for privatisation, for cuts to welfare, for lowering corporation tax, for cuts so social provision, and up until recently, voted against all women shortlists. Her position is clearly a long way away from left of centre.

jackbarron likes this.
  7. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

No that’s not really it. Labour has all-women shortlists and a lot of high profile MPs as a result: the next leader is very likely to be a woman. Women are well-represented at every level. Labour also support policies (e.g. national social care service, workplace democracy, right to flexible working, abolition of zero hours contracts, reversal of austerity) that support women.

Swinson resisted all-women shortlists until they couldn’t be resisted any longer and is still a big fan of austerity, which disproportionately affects women.

On the other hand she’d like to see more statues of women. Her priorities here are clear and I guess it’s up to voters to decide whether or not they share them.

8. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Is Keir Starmer having the op?

Weekender likes this.
  9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

So, one day Labour will be the last major UK party to have a female leader, and in the meantime they’ll mansplain feminism to all the other parties that have already jumped this hurdle.

10. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Still a bluff but under this regime a more serious one.

11. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

VONC, caretaker government led by Corbyn to organise GE and ref. Then, for preference, Labour-negotiated deal (I.e. very soft Brexit) vs remain on ballot. Zero possibility of no deal.

12. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

If that’s more important to you than institutional equality and policies that support women then go for it: like I said it’s about priorities. Apologies if this is mansplaining.

Cav, vuk and Covkxw like this.
  13. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Do you really think Corbyn would get a sufficient number of Tories voting for him? I can’t see it myself.

14. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

I think you have seriously misunderstood the fact that for Boris and the ERG Brexit jihadists that are now in control, they are deadly serious about No Deal. They always have been and now they are in power, it's more likely than ever.

If this is Labour's general interpretation of events (i.e. that No Deal is a bluff) it could explain a lot.

jackbarron likes this.
  15. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

And for a bonus 5 marks, show your decision tree.

16. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I agree with you that the ERG want no deal. I'm not so sure about Boris. You can discount pretty much 100% of what comes out of his mouth (and pen). Boris clearly wants what is best for Boris. I have a hard time imagining why he would want to be the PM during and after a no-deal Brexit because it would appear to be a poison chalice sort of job, and he seems like a pretty bright chap - too bright to think that sunny uplands will really be the outcome of a no deal Brexit. However I'll freely admit that I'm not very good at figuring out the motives of the truly Machiavellian types - maybe because I'm not one myself. I can't see any good outcomes for Boris (unless he's happy to be as universally hated as May was at the end of her tenure).

The most plausible prediction I've read is a snap election, Boris increases his majority, no longer needs the DUP and we have a hard border in the Irish sea - so we get May's deal without the backstop and a customs-unifed Ireland.

17. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Dunno what Labour’s interpretation is, mine is that it’s a mistake to think that the ERG is in charge. To the degree that anyone’s in charge of the Conservative Party it’s Dominic Cummings, but actually nobody’s in charge. And the Conservative Party itself is barely in charge of anything. Even if there were a coherent, disciplined strategy for no deal, Parliament could still stop it: the biggest danger lies in the smaller remain parties buying into their own BS.

18. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

If it’s made clear that it’s a caretaker government, and if they’re serious.

19. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Yes that is most likely his game plan. And to be honest the best outcome possible now apart from him and Farage dropping dead.

20. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

But why would this be better than a Labour government and an outside chance of a very soft Brexit at worst, and the likelihood of remain? I mean, this is still not only possible but probable in the case of an election: all remainers have to do is seize their chance.

Covkxw and maxflinn like this.