1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Resurrection ... of the E-IVs

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by quincy, May 17, 2020.

1. quincy

quincy Somewhere East of the Lagan

Around 2003-2004 I eagerly watched the posts by James, Mr Tibbs and Ashley about building James' speakers ( the E-IIIs and E-IVs ) … Mr Tibbs built the E-IIIs and James flew all the way from New Zealand to have a listen to them … he was not disappointed … they were magnificent.
    The problem that I had was that the E-IIIs were too big for the room in my house so I asked James had he a smaller version of the E-IIIs.
    He posted a design for the E-IVs which Ashley built.
    In the meantime, I ordered up the drivers and electronics together with the American Black Walnut and MDF.
    I partially constructed the chassis, biscuited the walnut … then a series of events conspired to make me not want to continue.
    The walnut has been kept inside the house for 16 years and is now fully seasoned and warp-free.
    Likewise, the chassis are square and sturdy.
    I the past few weeks I have been sorting out the workshop, buying a new router and beginning the work of completing the chassis.
    Yesterday, I dowelled and glued the back of the driver housing to the second chassis, the first chassis was done a day earlier … have now to make a template to attach to the router to enable me to cut the rebates and holes for the drivers … I will post some pics later

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Fatmarley likes this.
  2. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

Photos dont show :(

3. quincy

There was a problem with the photo URL ... I will sort it out later

4. quincy

I have the photos in a folder on Google Photos … I copy the link and paste it in the post … am I going about it the wrong way?

5. Fatmarley

Fatmarley pfm Member

Make an account with 'Imgur' - Click on the green ball in the top right corner - Click on 'images' - Click the box where it says 'Browse or drag images here' (then upload the images) - Click on the picture you want to show us - Under 'Direct Link' click the blue box that says 'Copy' - Once copied, come back to pinkfish and click on the 'Image' box (next to smiley face). Right click and paste into 'Image URL:' - and then click 'Post Reply' and it should show.

6. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Trouble is, those pictures will eventually disappear from the forum.
    Use your ISP storage space and FileZilla instead.

7. Fatmarley

Fatmarley pfm Member

Why will they disappear?

8. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

It seems straightforward to me using Google photos.

[​IMG]

First, make sure the album in which the images are stored have sharing activated. Then it's a simple matter of clicking on the image to launch it, and by right/double clicking on the image will get you the "copy image address", whereupon you can insert into your post.

The image of E-IVs above is exactly how I've used google.photos.

9. chartz

chartz pfm Member

My mistake, it seems that Imgur pictures will stay online as long as they are viewed at least once every 6 months.

10. Fatmarley

Fatmarley pfm Member

Well I didn't know that.

11. quincy

12. quincy

These are the two chassis … one with the back driver panel attached … I was busy today making a jig to cut the driver rebates and holes … more pics later now[​IMG]

orangeart likes this.
  13. quincy

Making a router jig to cut the holes and rebates in the driver boards … James sent me photos of his jig[​IMG]

14. quincy

The steamed beech offcut was drilled ( 8mm ) to take the trammel bars … the bars were glued in place with the router attached … just to make sure the bars do not move I will drill thru the beech into the bar and thru the wood under the bar and then screw in two countersunk screws[​IMG]

15. quincy

The Perspex sheet was secured to the wood with screws, countersinking into the Perspex … next stage cutting a hole in the Perspex to allow the router bits to pass thru … and drilling some 3mm pivot holes

16. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Great work!

:cool:

17. James

That's looking more like it. Glad you sorted your photo-hosting problems.

Have you considered asking a moderator to merge this thread with your original one?

18. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

Nice stuff quincy, I can look on from the sidelines and enjoy your build and not feel guilty I have not done mine any more. James mentioned there was a build with an even longer gestation than mine. Looks like my record is about to be beaten ;-)

19. quincy

This is the underside of the jig … several pivot holes drilled … this was made for the specific purpose of cutting the rebates for the E-IVs … to cut larger circles it is just a matter of drilling more access holes for the router bits[​IMG]

20. James

I've got the pivot holes on the other side, and you will definitely need a bigger (wider) hole for the bit. The cutting diameter is achieved by a combination of choosing the pivot point closest to the desired radius, and making fine adjustment on the trammel bars.