1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Revox A77 service suggestions

Discussion in 'classic' started by John_73, Feb 16, 2015.

1. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

Hi folks!

I want to book my Revox Mk.4 A77 in for a service in another couple months or so. I replaced all the usual suspects myself (Rifa caps, electrolytics and adjustment pots) a while back, but it needs to be professionally calibrated, tuned up and the motors stripped & lubricated etc.

Due to an ongoing illness I currently have to rely on my Dad to drive the deck to an engineer, or risk a courier if it's too far from the delights of Basingstokesville! That being the case, has anybody here used this guy before? Arundel isn't too far from here. He also has a Facebook page which details some of his work, and an Ebay page as well, which suggests he knows his stuff & is reliable, and a genuine enthusiast too:

http://www.reelaudio.co.uk/tapemachines/Services.shtml

I generally prefer to use people who knows these decks extremely well, are up to speed with all the servicing notes, can get the best out of them & restored to full Revox specs/standards. Any other servicing centre suggestions would be great too, ta muchly.

- John

2. Not 100% sure on this but B&W might be able to service it for you?
    The guy there that services Nakamichi cassette tape decks knows his way around Revox tape decks.
    It might be worth giving them a call.
    There used to be a top bloke just outside Maidstone Kent that used to service valve amps and Revox decks.
    I will mail a couple of friends that used him to see if he is still at it and get back to you later today.

3. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

Thanks Barry - appreciate it.

John

4. simeon

simeon No fixed engagements

My B77 is due back tomorrow from Brian Reeves in Manchester. He seems to be very thorough in his approach, although I shall know more after tomorrow when I've seen and heard it. He was a bit iffy about the fact that I had recapped it but after seeing it, was satisfied with my soldering :cool:, but insisted on replacing about a third of my replacements for the 'correct' kind. He has a service for renting a flight case to transport your machine to and from him.

5. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

Funnily enough have just emailed him, and from what you say I expect he'll be iffy with me too then as I've replaced all caps & pots myself ;) Not sure I like the potential idea of him replacing replacement parts though. Just had a look at his site and he quotes courier costs (with flight case) as around £40 for each journey, so that'd be £120 before he's even looked at the deck. My budget is £200 so have a feeling this would be way over that, but will see what he says. The chap in Arundel, Sussex is appealing as my Dad could take the deck over & cut out courier costs. Will be interested to hear how your deck performs when you get it back. I'd love a B77.

6. simeon

It sounds as if Mr Reeves is not going to work. He also charges £80 to do an initial assessment, which is then knocked off the bill if he does the work. That would be your £200 gone! I live near Plymouth and so everywhere is a treck. I looked at the chap in Arundel but I was passing Manchester on Christmas Eve so took it there. Good luck with the search. I'm v excited about getting mine back.

7. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Send a message to toprepairman on this forum. Expert with Revox and sensible prices. Based in Leatherhead area.

8. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

I just heard back from him, and it would indeed unfortunately be past the limits of my budget. Plus, as you also found out, he's not keen at all on the fact I've replaced the caps & pots myself. I guess he must see some real botch jobs so fair enough I guess, though my soldering skills are very good, and I used good quality industrial replacement parts (Panasonic FCs/FMs, Rubycon ZLs and Piher pots), so my pride was very slightly offended ;)
    Hope you start a thread when you get your B77 back. I'm rather envious - beautiful looking deck.

9. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

Thanks for that suggestion. Waiting to hear back from another potential servicing guy at the moment, but will message him if that doesn't pan out.

10. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

I bought my B from this guy a few years ago, very impressive gear and spares, rooms full of stuff (retired radio station engineer), but near Ipswich - so same trek and courier issues. But another potential quote to get!

http://www.taperecorder.co.uk/servicing.htm

(I'm planning to use Mr Reeves as well, and maybe eat some of Tony's digestives on the way back)

11. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

Hi Jonathan, thanks for that. He's actually the guy I'm currently waiting to hear back from ;)

Chocolate digestives I hope! (Cue stomach rumble to rival any speakers sub-bass!).

12. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

13. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

14. paskinn

paskinn pfm Member

Surprising how many skilled technicians there are for this stuff. Geoff Kramer at Service Sound in Turkey Road, Bexhill, is good with R to Rs. He effectively rebuilt my Ferrograph Logic Seven. My B77 has been loaned to a local jazz group to record their act, and they love it. Performance is similar to the A77, but it looks better and is nicer to use.
    I think Brian Reeves is the 'official' guy for Revox; he is probably very good, if pricey.

15. simeon

16. rhgbristol

rhgbristol pfm Member

Thumbs up for Bryan Reeves. He is the official Revox service agent in the uk.
    Admittedly he is not the cheapest, but knows the decks like the back of his hands and had access to all the correct parts.

He did my 1981 B77 machine in 2006, it came back sounding and operating better than new, and has sounded as such ever since.

Very much along the lines of a Naim factory service - you know it's done right, and it will help maximise its resale future value.

17. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

Looks great - such a nice design the B77. I'm on the fence about whether to get my A77 serviced now actually, or sell it and wait until I can afford a decent B77 instead, though I understand there's little real world performance difference between the two. I just love the design :cool:

So all running smoothly and sounding as good as new then! You'll have to post a video would love to see it in action.

Good to see a pair of Quad IIs there too - run a pair myself in the colder months.

- John

18. simeon

Thanks John. It is nice to have it working after it has sat in the garage for a couple of years. Brian Reeves did an excellent job. I haven't had a tape machine for a very long time. Coming back to it from the streaming age is a bit of a shock. Its a faff winding, rewinding and threading tape and ten and a half inch reels don't play as long as a big playlist on a Squeeze Touch :rolleyes:. But it looks great with the reels turning, the meters umm ,metering and the valves glowing in the dusk. I even bought a lava lamp to heighten that 70s ambience :).

19. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

I have an A77 and 2 PR99s and I think the PR99s are much better IMO. he PR99s were the latest models and a Good Mk3 is the one to go for if you can get one ?
    The only problem with all A77, B77, PR99s are they are full of Frako caps which go leaky as hell and can sometimes short taking IC out with them, all the Tantalums I have changed have been quite high ESR as well, so If you buy these machines you need to be prepared to do a lot of work your self or pay a few bob to get them serviced properly
    I am recapping the PR77 at the moment, and when I got it the capstan motor didn't turn, its working now but there are still some more caps to change out before its reliable

Alan

20. simeon

This may be a bit off topic, but... I asked Mr Reeves to send my B77 back by courier as driving from Plymouth to Manchester would have been a pain. He uses some very sturdy flight cases for the transfer and then arranges pick up of the empties. Today, the courier was due to collect it so I arranged to be home. I’d left it at the side of the garage at the other end of the drive (about 100m from the house) so he didn’t have to walk too far. But the man from APC arrived in his van, saw it at the side of the garage, picked it up and drove off. He didn’t even come to the house or ring the bell. So I don’t have a receipt for it but I do have some nice shots and a video of him carrying it to his van on CCTV. Very weird behaviour. How did he know that was the thing to collect?