1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Revox B77 Restoration

Discussion in 'classic' started by 337alant, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Oh yes, I remember looping tapes the length of the university corridor. :)

Jonathan likes this.
  2. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

You mean like this :D

Alan

Jonathan and Julf like this.
  3. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Pretty much, yes. Oh, those were the days...

4. Werner

Werner pfm Member

5. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

YES! not at ALL unlike that - will post photos eventually - picture four revoxes mounted together in a desk and a whole rack of equipment over top (on the wall)

when i was in art school in montreal i did a bunch of courses in electroacoustic music - which is how this bug found me in the first place - one of our first assignments we had to record a paragraph of speech onto tape and then cut up and identify every phoneme and phoneme group (it didnt' hurt i was taking linguistics in tandem) and then rearrange them all (about 900 or so individual pieces of tape) into three different compositions over the course of the ensuing exercise ...

6. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

7. 337alant

Yes good machines for musicians, I still have one in working order

[​IMG]IMG_2351 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

JensenHealey and Gaycha like this.
  8. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

Check the LM4562 spec sheet for decoupling

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 8:05 PM
  9. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

hmmm - pretty sure the 4562 are pin-compatible with the 4558 and 5532 (?)

10. 337alant

Jonathan
    Yes I agree they are, what I was saying is I want to get the B77 working at its best with the stock Op amp which is actually a TBA 231A then do the swap to the LM4562 or 5532 to check if it actually does make a difference to the recording.

11. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

interesting thanks - thinking of playing around with mine too ... thank GOD the separate circuits are organised on CARDS - makes it so much easier than working on an otari etc (where EVERYTHING is one one board). Let me know what you find - i'll be working on this in parallel ... seems to me (also) there's no one ideal op-amp for all circuits but likely some that work better on a given card ... but that's obvious i suppose.