1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

RFI : how does it affect mains circuitry of hifi equipment?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Ragaman, Feb 20, 2015.

1. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

Why bother I don't think there are many here making claims about £1800+ cables and generally anybody who would buy products at that level wouldn't be bothered posting on this forum and a lot of others about their experience.

From what i can ascertain here most people including myself simply don't have that spare money to spend on mains cables regardless of whether they can yield a massive improvement or not.

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Now that's a new one on me. I'm not refuting it because I simply have no idea but it does, on the face of it, seem very unlikely. What can cause these interference and hum problems when we're talking about mains power in, transformed into DC (?) within the box. Then,, via a process of electronic circuitry and componentry, allows the amplification or processing of a musical signal. This then transports this line level signal via interconnects.

I can see only one common factor, and that is earthing; how is this affected by varying lengths? Puzzling.:(

3. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

I think earthing is a science in itself. Star grounds, spike, dedicated radial and the extreme that arkless would warm to:) Entreq tellus

4. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

That is the point here, every time someone even suggests they have experienced an improvement with a mains cable it instantly get's labelled as an exotic £2000 cable by the usual suspect, it is also claimed that anyone using such a product hears huge life changing improvements, again, not the case, everyone knows this is a ridiculous price for a cable of any kind, who on earth would buy such a thing, there is a huge difference from this to paying out £10 for one if you want to.

5. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Normal common or garden everyday interference/hum from having mains leads and signal leads all spaghettied up together (plus earth loops) is what he's talking about...

6. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Grounding boxes are the real deal, sealed boxes of 'minerals' attached to a spare input on your preamp, how could they not possibly bring a huge improvement.
    Keith.

7. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Can you explain further how doing this improves things, firstly, what does it improve & how & why does it improve sound quality.

8. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Thats because of lack of knowledge. RFI is a very complex issue and even audio designers often fail to understand the complexities. This tutorial is aimed at radio amateurs but covers a lot of ground and is an excellent primer.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Here is a very good high-level presentation. Its US centric but it applies to the UK also. http://www.bennettprescott.com/downloads/grounding_tutorial.pdf

You can find out a lot more by searching RSGB or just seardh on topics that interest you.

Cheers,

DV

9. Arkless Electronics

I'm talking about any and all mains cables not specifically very expensive ones... although they do take the piss! I'm saying that any and all mains cables sound the same irrespective of cost as it's not possible for a mains cable to have any influence on sound quality. Just to be clear :)
    Food tastes the same whether you eat it using the cheapest cutlery or gold cutlery as the cutlery itself obviously has no flavour would be another analogy!

10. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

They are just fantastic, the boxes are sealed to protect the extremely advanced proprietary technology within, some of the more expensive one,s $50k plus have really nice polished cabinets.
    They are not connected to the mains ,just plug into a spare input on your preamp, compared to mains cables they offer a quantum leap in SQ.
    Keith.

11. Arkless Electronics

From a quick glance that is a very thorough article on the subject!

All those talking tosh should read it!

12. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

This has been my experience - no difference. In my youth, I tried out some aftermarket mains cables. Not that I've tried them all, but life is short.

13. Harry1212

Harry1212 pfm Member

Mu - Metal, pal . . .

;)

14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Um, that would actually be a poor analogy. Cutlery does have a flavour, we choose stainless because it has little flavour and it's cheap and durable. A suck on a 2p piece will soon establish that not all metals have no flavour!

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed that the new 10p's are made of steel and picked up by magnets? Bloody cheapskates. It's been the case for 1p's and 2p's for a while. I know this because for whatever reason my new housekeys are magnetic and they pick change out of my pocket and shower it everywhere.

[/food science nerdery]

15. sbgk

sbgk pfm Member

I think the stance that ferrites can filter rfi from a cable but insulation on a cable can't act as a filter is inconsistent. Any cable companies that want to sponsor me to be a shill, please get in touch.

16. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

[​IMG]

17. Arkless Electronics

I mentioned it several pages back.... Bloody expensive though!

It's for shielding against the magnetic aspect of EMI ;)

18. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Too true. The latest research puts gold at the top for taste.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/776ba1d4-93ee-11e1-baf0-00144feab49a.html

Cheers,

DV

19. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

How much Ferrite insulation have you encountered?

20. Arkless Electronics