1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

RFI : how does it affect mains circuitry of hifi equipment?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Ragaman, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Seeing is believing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aVxB9oXcEc

I have a few sheets of mu metal gained over the years but you have to be careful as I believe that 'working' it can destroy its properties.

Cheers,

DV

2. Harry1212

Harry1212 pfm Member

It's a piss - take; Keith is pullin' yer Plonker . . .

:rolleyes: ;) :)

xx

3. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Indeed!

4. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

For the record can you state exactly how many mains cables you have tested & exactly what make or model please because basing your opinion on the fact your an engineer has no clout without scientific testing or at the very least trying the cables first, and please be as specific as you please but mainly be honest.

For the record, I have tried 3, a Russ Andrews cable, a supra cable & a home made belden cable along with my standard cables that were supplied with the equipment. Pointless going into my views on each as you have no interest but I am interested in your experience with such cables.

5. Arkless Electronics

Noooooo!!!! and I've just bought one on-line! sh1t!

I thought it may work well with a pvc insulation filter :D

6. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

'I don't think it nice you laughing!'
    Keith.

7. Arkless Electronics

I don't need to compare different brands of lead roofing tiles to know that none of them float ;)

8. Harry1212

Harry1212 pfm Member

Bit like my bloody body at the moment . . .

Jez - ring me

Cheers, H

;)

9. Arkless Electronics

:D:D

10. Arkless Electronics

I'll ring when I get back from the pub

11. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Then your thoughts & theories are completely groundless, thought this may be the case mind after reading your many, many, many, many posts with the same quote on each with nothing but the fact "your an engineer" as proof. Oh well, I was hoping for more but have been proven correct.

12. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Ragaman,

Is RFI a problem for you?

Would you know RFI if it hit you in the face?

13. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

I hate to say this: would any of those who are eager to speak about RFI's detrimental effects to HiFi? It may be helpful if one could buy conducted RFI and radiated RFI meters or both rolled into one from say Maplins or RS.

14. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Its a bit rich saying jezs' thoughts and theories are groundless, they are based on hundreds of years of physics and his own decades of designing and measuring experience. Where as you have sweet **** all, not even a simple blinded test to prove there are audible differences to investigate further.

You can't even construct a cogent argument

15. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Even your post is based on groundless "facts". Firstly you have nothing to base your facts on regarding my know how or any tests I have carried out yet you make such a claim.
    I have conducted plenty of blind tests, there is no need for me to repeat myself regarding this, they are their for all to see if they wish, obviously you havn't been reading these threads of late, without even testing such a cable how can anyone make a claim on one, I have never had a drink of wine, this gives me no right to comment on it or make claims as to how it tastes or worse, claim to know how someone else tastes it, any intelligent person can see this, have you tested these cables for differences or are you another who lays claim with no such tests having been carried out. Science is based on testing & repeating these tests so it's of no use rambling on about hundreds of years of physics if you can't put your money where your mouth is.

I can respect the claims of someone who has, those who haven't are nothing more than the musings of a sceptic based on the fact he or she is an engineer, I understand very well how wine is made, I could probably learn how to make it, makes no difference if I haven't tasted it for myself.

I'm pretty sure arkless is man enough to be able to respond to my post without you holding his hand.

The thread was started by myself to actually have a proper debate about this issue without all the usual ramblings from people who havn't even put it to the test but as usual the the ego has landed crowd show their teeth.

It has been , as suspected, a waste of time so have a knockabout amongst yourselves, i'll leave you to it.

16. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

Just in case you call back or have a peep do you still believe the ASA upheld Russ's case for technical reasons (cos his cables did sort out RFI) or because he did not mislead by saying that they did fix RFI (said we believe)? Do you believe his article reporting the lab results by showing plots graphs was correct in his statement that 700 mHz is the frequency for mobile phones and not blinding you with science?

You have been trying to beat people with a stick made of your misunderstanding of the ASA judgement and Russ's beliefs concluded from the tests he commissioned. Your original statement in your OP is faulted.

Posts 48, 73 and 80

17. sbgk

sbgk pfm Member

so if he could construct a cogent argument that might change the laws of physics ?

18. sbgk

sbgk pfm Member

19. sbgk

sbgk pfm Member

thanks for keeping the thread going, hopefully some people have learned something from it. Some people seem to have a remarkable faith in their own knowledge.

20. Arkless Electronics

If you started this thread to have a genuine debate about RFI then why have you ignored all the advice you have received on the matter? and after earlier admitting you know nothing about electronics?
    DV posted a link to an excellent resource on the subject earlier. I suggest you read it. It's VERY good. Or wait for my own article on the subject in the reference area which will be at a more laymen's, practical level and try the tips for yourself.. it's cheap and works!

For what it's worth I have about 30 IEC mains leads and though there would be no sensible reason to compare them I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever when I've moved equipment around and had to change leads for longer/shorter/different brand ones....