1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ribbon cable replacement

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Mike P, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

I need to replace a ribbon cable/flexible pcb on a friends Audio Alchemy DDS III CD transport.

The original has cracked across a few traces, no doubt because the routing of the cable is far too tight and it has to move over quite a sharp edge. Very poor design IMO!

Anyway, I don't really know where to start with finding a replacement and any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]P1100873 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

[​IMG]P1100875 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

[​IMG]P1100874 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

2. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

That is a custom flexible pcb and not available as a third party spare.
    Point to point wires should work.

3. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

David is right. Just replace the open track(s) with flexible wire(s). (Full length from board to 'plug'.)
    Does the ribbon move in operation? Did it snag on that white oval?

4. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

Yes the flexi pcb isn't long enough. It runs from the main pcb through the white oval and down to the laser mech which moves every time the tray is operated.

It rubs on the white oval and that's where it failed.

I think I'll replace the whole lot with longer point to point wiring.

5. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

That is a dumb design, but the flexible pcb is better suited to repeated movement than wire. I would only replace the open tracks for that reason. Is it that the join in the white grommet (left side) is the wear point? Turn it round so the join is on the right if it is.