1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Prince.

Discussion in 'music' started by Tony Lockhart, Apr 21, 2016.

1. John

John TDS free

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Neither report has confirmed/denied he was self-medicating due to religious idiocy preventing him from having a much needed hip-replacement. Sadly I suspect that is the true story here. A ridiculous/incomprehensible waste of a great talent.

3. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Religion has a lot to answer for on occasion.

4. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

I spoke to a Jehovah's Witness at work and she said no way would her religion prevent someone having an operation. It would maybe be down to a misguided interpretation.
    Although a quick Wiki would seem to confirm blood transfusions not allowed.
    Maybe the UK JUs are less stringent. Odd.

5. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Then she is no jehovah's witness.

I would imagine there are hundreds of preventable deaths every year in the uk due to this particular belief but then it's down to them i suppose, if they would rather die than recieve treatment who is anyone to argue with it, it's their choice.

The problems for me are when they make a similar decision on a baby who has no say in the matter. There should be a line i feel, where the baby has to be of mental age to make such a decision, they may not want to be a jehovah's witness.

6. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I wonder what society would be like if people were prohibited from attending religious establishments and practicing religion, or being ascribed a religious designation for that matter, until they were 18 years old - a bit like partaking of the bread and wine on offer in pubs and bookies. Such a secular society, the secular youth to be more precise, might reject some of the questionable practices such as denying oneself medical treatment. Just a thought...

7. John

John TDS free

Great excuse for a junkie to use to keep on as a user. These drugs Prince were taking are more powerful and addicting than heroin. Opioids are prescribed like candy here in the US and are a huge problem! Doctors will give 20 doses to someone who may need 2 or 3.

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Very interesting blog piece here by Maureen Herman, (Babes In Toyland bassist and someone who knew and worked for Prince).

9. John

John TDS free

Hard to be a regular user of opiods or heroin without becoming addicted. Shame that doctors in the US prescribe opioids like candy; like most other prescription drugs. You should see the high percentage of prescription drug ads on TV, it's unbelievable! They all end in, ask your doctor about .....with a bunch of disclaimers with horrible side effects. I'll be happy to live my life without having to take any of them.

Here's a nice headline:

U.S.: 5% of World Population; 80% of Opioid Consumption

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

You seem to want to brand Prince a junkie for some reason. To my mind it is clear this was pain medication, though, as is often the case with chronic pain management, a situation that eventually deteriorated due to the addictive properties of the only drugs that actually work. Maureen Herman gets the point over far better than I am able, though I do understand a little about hip replacement surgery and the risks involved as I have worked for a brand within a large multinational pharmaceutical company that made the things (I was a contract IT manager, though received some product training, heard all the pros, cons, gossip etc - I even had one of the things sitting on my desk!). The article addresses the stigma and ignorance regarding this whole area very well.

11. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis 5 years ago.
    I was prescribed tramadol.
    I was reassured by the GP that it was safe, non habit forming etc..
    I have now had a successful hip replacement and am desperately trying to get off tramadol which, despite my GP's false assurances turns out to be a highly addictive opiate.
    I never exceeded the prescribed dose but I cannot get off the drug without suffering the most uncomfortable restless leg syndrome and unbearable calf and thigh cramping.

Addicted through no fault if my own.

12. TwoChannelMan

TwoChannelMan Active Member

RIP one of the greats

13. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Prince became a JW when he was relatively old, likely as a reaction to a wild secular youth.
    Even if you choose a hip replacement, when to have it is a balancing act as they start to fail after around 10 years and you have to think about the consequences of a forced operation to replace the failed joint later in life.
    Don't take cheap shots at him

14. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Had I been the GP, I would have told you the same as long as there was no alternative to Tramadol. Or no painkiller at all. What's the point in terrorising the patient with possible side effects ? We already know the devastating side effects of pharma package inserts.

A couple of years ago, a friend was on Tramadol for several months after a bike accident and he had no side effects, it might have been this way for you too.

15. Orbe Chaser

Orbe Chaser pfm Member

Has your doctor prescribed Ropinirole to help with your restless legs?
    If not it would be worth asking him to do so; I take both these drugs due to long term pain issues & would not be able to function at all without them. I realise tramadol is addictive & will probably have to take them for the rest of my life, & I am far from pain free even with them, but the alternative is too horrific to contemplate.

16. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

If you want real per capita opioid consumption, go to Austria (202.6 mg/capita vs. 79.9 mg/capita in the US). Canada out-consumes the US as well (96.7 mg/capita), as does Denmark (86.0); but it's true there are many more Americans than there are Canadians or Austrians or Danes.

Anyway, pain killed Prince, as it has killed so many. A very sad situation with no real viable solution.

17. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

The rocketing prescription of highly addictive opioid analgesics in the US is a result of false claims and aggressive marketing by Perdue and other Pharma co's in the late 1990s. When the lid was lifted on their scam they were fined $billions, but the consequences (inc' many misinformed GPs) continue.

In fact another major reason for the massive increase in prescribed opioid pain killers and resulting overdose/addiction in the US is that the medical insurance companies stopped funding other therapies that do work e.g. physiotherapy, changes to diet/exercise/lifestyle/etc.

A terrible end for a great such as Prince.
    He died of an overdose/addiction, and considering his numerous puritanical pronouncements re: drugs I conclude a main cause of his death was ignorance.

18. Bob McC

I have had several discussions with my group practice GPS.
    Sadly I think they are either driven by cost or don't know the alternatives.
    They told me there was no alternative to 50 mg tramadol as a minimum dose.
    In hospital the head of the pain management team told me that there is a soluble version that can be shared out so that a dose can be much lower.
    I have yet to approach my GP to find out why that hasn't been recommended.

I will ask about the restless Leg drug because it has never been offered to me.

19. Bob McC

Are you a medical doctor?
    If not your view is irrelevant.

Your last paragraph makes no sense at all.
    I have been on tramadol 5 years!
    I was also on Opremazole for 5 years. An anti inflammatory that my GP admitted I should only have been on for a few months.

20. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

That (Tramadol misinformation) is terrible, Bob. The NHS will be able to count itself lucky if you don't sue.