1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Roasting tomatoes - any tips?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by rough edges, Oct 21, 2019.

1. rough edges

rough edges pfm Member

I love the concentrated flavour of roasted tomatoes in a marinara sauce. Anyone else share this passion? Does anyone have any tips on preparing these precious things?

TIA

2. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

Small cherry tomatoes on the vine in the oven on a tray with a little olive oil for ten minutes. Job done.

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

As above for a better sugar content, also experiment with temp/time for the degree of water loss you want per unit browning and caramelisation. This done, consider oil type and salt/pepper grind size. I favour coarse ground salt for a salty, crunchy bite.

4. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Just load up a sheet pan with tomatoes and stick it under the broiler. Let them cook until they start turning black. Then a few more minutes...

Let the blackened tomatoes cool, then slip the skins off and use in your recipe of choice.

5. rough edges

rough edges pfm Member

I've been using 8 or 10 Roma tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise, cut side up drizzled with olive oil and Kosher salt. I roast them for 2 1/2 hrs at 375F, then run them through the food processor.
    I'm getting some nice caramelization with this heat, but wonder if I should be using an even hotter oven.

GruntPuppy likes this.
  6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Experiment, take notes.

rough edges likes this.
  7. rough edges

rough edges pfm Member

I always do. Just trying to start a discussion to share ideas, etc. Time well spent, IMO.

8. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

I blast them at max temps on my gas bbq grill after dipping halved tomatoes in olive oil rock salt and pepper. Around 10 mins, turn and another couple of minutes. Then serve with a salad of choice with fresh torn basil, balsamic and basil oil with ciabatta halved and toasted on the bbq as well.

9. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

Temp around 300c btw

10. rough edges

rough edges pfm Member

Now we're talking'! That all looks/sounds very tasty; very Italiano...
    I've grilled tomatoes, but just using olive oil and salt.

11. Martian Sunrise

Martian Sunrise pfm Member

Do this at night:

With cherry tomatoes (Sweet Million are the best) I slice them in half, lay them on a baking tray and sprinkle them with some salt and herbs and drizzle olive oil on the top.

I turn the oven on full blast and when it is up to temp, pop the tray in, turn the oven off and go to bed.

most of them get eaten on toast in the morning.

jtrade and Wilson like this.
  12. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

13. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

You'll find that a sprinkling of sugar before baking will enhance the flavour more than salt.
    Best to break the skin a little to avoid explosions.

Big Tabs and Tony Lockhart like this.
  14. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

Long & slow and not too hot is what I find best.... but I will often throw a tray of whatever tomatoes I happen to have in the fridge into the oven when roasting or baking anything, for a slightly different result every time.

Some here must also remember the UK TV program awhile back examining the benefits of tomatoes which revealed that cooking them increases the key health component (lycopene ?) by something like 15 times (a figure since disputed by the raw food lobby).

Suffolk Tony likes this.
  15. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

That's an Italian recipe for what I believe are called bell peppers in North America (after peeling the peppers, drizzle over a little olive oil, season plus a little garlic if you like it).

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Interesting discussion, and there are lots of different approaches that are going to give very different results. The different elements of charring, roasting, drying will all play on the result. What's your desired end point, or are you still debating that?

17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Don't roast very big (Beefeater) tom's with a topside joint.:D

18. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Olive oil and fresh rosemary from the garden.

Pete

19. mjw

mjw pfm Member

I appreciate that your aim is a good sauce but for an accompaniment for a steak or similar I'd take your cooked items, don't wizz and acidulate with a little balsamic and fold in basil leaves before serving. Good on bruschetta too as mentioned upthread.

20. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

A sprinkle of oregano. Usually, I would go for basil with tomatoes but not here.