1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2012

Discussion in 'audio' started by dan m, Oct 9, 2012.

1. dan m

dan m pfm Member

Any PFM members attending this weekend?

2. chainrule

chainrule gordon

i thought about going, but i thought about it late, and now a plane ticket to fly 700 miles starts at $860. if a cheap flight comes along, i might.

3. Jaspercat

Jaspercat pfm Member

I will be there. Over on business in Chicago and my friend lives in Denver so not too costly to be there.

4. dan m

dan m pfm Member

The only day I can make it is Sunday, but it's the day after GABF and listening to music at the volumes they like at these shows may not be the best way to nurse a hangover.

Gordon - did I mention Dinosaur Jr. are playing on Monday night at the Bluebird? ;-)

Jaspercat - if you get a chance, can you check out the new Zu coaxial driver speakers (Union)?

5. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Resonessence Labs should have their new CONCERO DAC at the show too.

6. chainrule

chainrule gordon

dan_m - beer and dinosaur jr.: no wonder the plane tickets are so pricey. my ears are still ringing from the last time i saw dinosaur jr., circa 1988-89. still the loudest show i've seen.

i've listened to the new dinosaur jr. album once. too early to tell, but pretty good, nothing embarrassing, which i always fear when bands reform.

7. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

you ****ers need to come to NC for a bit during a stateside trip.

i live on the beach, baby

8. dan m

dan m pfm Member

Didn't make it to RMAF, but the Dinosaur Jr. gig was great. I would have liked to hear the Union and DeVore's new orangutan - anyone here manage to see/hear them?

9. Markus S

Markus S 41 - 29

10. AndrewR

AndrewR pfm Member

The comments in that article are certainly worth reading. But let's save that for another thread.

Andrew

11. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

12. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Caption competition:
    [​IMG]

Alan; You smelt it, you dealt it..
    Lady in the middle; got away with it, again.

13. Markus S

Markus S 41 - 29

Now what was I saying about respect? Ah well ...

14. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

Aspirational to who?

How does it become aspirational to the youth of today?

Other aspirational products I can think of are very public expressions of wealth. Some more subtle than others but still public. Watches, cars, clothing, Leicas.

Audio systems are private. Unless of course, the future aspirational items will be those you can show off and discuss ad infinitum on internet forums and Facebook.

15. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Fremer must be sitting on a box,
    Keith.

16. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Spent the weekend at RMAF. It's a short flight for me, and I like hearing the different setups. Also enjoy talking with manufacturers, writers, and so on.

The DeVore Orangutan 93's sounded great. John set them up well into room, so sound stage depth was impressive. He used a couple of WTA turntables along with Line Magnetic amps.

The other speakers that caught my ear were the Trenner and Freidl Pharoh's. Beautiful, rich sound, but still fast and detailed. The dealer had them paired with Heed mono blocks.

Spent a lot of time in the Naim room as well, where the NDS/555PS DR was featured. On day one, they used Ovator 400's. Day two was Dali Epicon 8's, and day three was Fact 3's. I thought the day one setup sounded best.

There were also a couple of megabucks setups that I liked: Lansche (Ypsilon) and MBL.

Met Alan Sircom, and heard him lecture on the "loudness wars". Also told him that I appreciated the forthrightness he's shown by posting on PFM.

ATB.

Hook

17. dan m

dan m pfm Member

Nice combination of gear! I bet they did sound great. Are the 93s the new ones?

18. John

John TDS free

Indeed, those look interesting. I wonder how much?

http://www.trenner-friedl.com/index2.php?menu=pharoah&sprache=en

19. Hook

Yes. John said he started working on the 96's and the 93's at about the same time, but the 96's came together first. This was the first public showing of the 93's.

20. Hook

$12,500 USD...if I heard the dealer correctly.

These fooled me at first because the cover makes it look like a single full range driver. But if you look underneath, it is a separate tweeter and 8" woofer. They're vented on the bottom, so they can get pretty close to the back wall (which makes them suitable for smaller to normal sized rooms).