1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

rogers export monitors

Discussion in 'classic' started by anderson4209, Jan 20, 2018.

1. anderson4209

anderson4209 pfm Member

Hi all just picked up a pair of rogers export monitors, exellent speaker, as good or better than my ls3/5a or harbeth p3esr, great midrange better than i expected, smooth response with great top and bottom, reall y impressed with these at the moment, regards, peter.

2. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

They were recommended in the second HiFi Choice book - £275 in 1979.

3. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I’ve often wondered why ‘export’ monitors?

4. stuwils

stuwils pfm Member

5. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

6. Ellwood

Ellwood New Member

I have 2 pairs of the exports (the version with the square port offset to the 8" woofer) and 2 pairs of studio ones. I've been looking for one matching t27 brass grill. Anyway I'm new to the forum. Delighted to be hear reading all these posts and learning from them. In my own experience (and it's all subjective) I find the export monitors hard to distinguish from the studio 1s other than maybe not quite as efficient. It's a pity we can't all hire a hotel function room, all bring our ls35a, ls7t, spendors etc and have a good listen to some pink floyd and order curry :)

ToTo Man and TimF like this.
  7. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Order curry.
    Now there’s an excellent idea...

8. John

John TDS free

Rogers Studio 1 was my worst hi-fi purchase.

9. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

Really? What didn't you like about them? I loved mine, fantastic speakers that I'd happily own again. Sounded fantastic powered by a Sugden A21a, even better with a Quad 99/909 combo.

10. John

John TDS free

Bloated bass and the $1,000 spent for them.

11. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

Yeah I have heard people say that the bass is a bit full for their tastes. Both my living rooms have had hard floors with minimal soft furnishings and I got a good balanced sound. The only exception was when I tried a ~18wpc valve amp, that was a wee bit woolly in the bass I s'pose.

12. DGP

DGP pfm Member

I reviewed the Rogers for What Hi-Fi against the RAM 80 and Lentek S4. I too found the bass rather fulsome and concluded that the recommended stand height was too low - I solved a lot of the issues with 0.5m tall stands.
    DGP

Robert likes this.
  13. Robert

Robert Tapehead

Yes indeed, get them onto something like the classic HBS1 Heybrook stand and the bottom end is far better balanced and defined.

14. anderson4209

anderson4209 pfm Member

Hi i find the bass control on my quad 44 is good for boomy bass, I also use a musical fidelity x tone.