1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rollmop Herrings

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Big Tabs, Aug 28, 2019.

?

Do you like Rollmops?

1. Food of the gods

2. Food for thought

3. Food for Fools

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I love Rollmops, but not all rollmops are the same...

Stuck approximately 90 miles from the coast, I vary as to the brands that give me what I want. Firm flesh, crunchy onions and a sweet(ish) vinegar solution.

Elsinore Rollmops (I got from Waitrose) are divine, although a little small.

Silver Tide (Sainsbury's) are okay, but the marinade isn't quite right. I still eat 'em.

Recommendations?

(obviously, rollmops are not everyone's idea of taste heaven, my wife reminds me how much they disgust her every time I purchase some for a treat.)

2. Cav

Cav pfm Member

I love herring; I hate rollmop.

3. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

it a secret that can never be shared

check the sugar, they should never ever be sweet or have a hint of sweetness. If they are sweet then they are not roll mops in the traditional sense

4. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

Visit the Netherlands. They know what to do with a herring.

5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Rollmops get confused with soused. One is raw (as in just pickled), one cooked, although you'll find cooked recipes for both.
    I like both but a REALLY good kipper, either Manx or otherwise, probably beats both.

Something of a coarse scoring system, is it not?

Big Tabs likes this.
  6. Big Tabs

Every recipe I have seen has sugar in it, and the aforementioned brands have sugar in them.
    For my tastes, I like the sour with a hint of sweet.
    What traditional sense do you mean?

7. Big Tabs

My wife tells me I can be coarse, maybe I should listen to her.

I like a kipper as well, along with herrings in mustard etc. I have to be in the mood for a rollmop, expectations of the vinegar rush make me dribble.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  8. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

How are herrings coarse? :)

They are oily fish, which we should all eat more of.

Any of the three, or bloaters, with just some just-out-of-the-oven crusty bread...…………………………… maybe just a handful of green salad and a tomato, dead simple, dead delicious.

The only real hassle is the smells......

Big Tabs likes this.
  9. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Wife hates them, I love them (this situation also covers kippers and smoked salmon). I once worked with a bloke with the surname I’Ansen. His parents were Scandinavian and interestingly, he couldn’t even look at them.

Big Tabs likes this.
  10. gintonic

Read carefully, did I say they shouldn't have sugar in the recipe? No! Of course they should have sugar, but they shouldn't taste sweet.

I cannot share that information with you

11. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

All smoked foods vary from bland to delicious to OTT.

My favourite smoked food - smoked eel (probably, as I can only think of smoked cheese that I would pass on).

Big Tabs likes this.
  12. gintonic

it is very variable. Some is delicate and tasty. Others like the sample I had last night on a cheese board, tasted like the bottom of a 10 year old unwashed ash tray

13. Big Tabs

I have had smoked mussels from a tiny place in Dungeness, near Derek Jarman's cottage, delicious. Eels have never worked for me, jellied or smoked, still yucky. Must go back there, Rye harbour has a fish monger that does rollmops as well I think.

MikeMA likes this.
  14. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

You must have had some dud smoked eel :)

Quick diversion - cheese -

I tried Gjetost recently. Different and rather nice in small quantities, but I doubt that I shall buy any again.

Cheese, I am afraid has to be cheese for me, blue or not - the product derived entirely from the fermented solids from mammal milk.

15. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

They always taste better than they first appear. Rarely get any though....

Big Tabs likes this.
  16. gintonic

does that make a difference

I was in Rye Harbour day before yesterday (spent a couple nights there), bumped into the Jazz festival - - lovely spot. We had some smoked fish on a platter. Some roll mops that were over sweet. Oysters were excellent.

We were at Beaulieu yesterday and arrived today in Burton Bradstock

17. deanf

deanf pfm Member

I tried this in Maastricht, I suppose it was ok, nothing that ten minutes under the grill couldn't fix!

:)

18. sp25

sp25 pfm Member

I usually make do with Tesco's, though prefer Young's. Very disappointed with Lidl's. Haven't tried any more exotic.

Big Tabs likes this.
  19. Big Tabs

It does make a difference in trying to describe where the smokehouse is, if you have ever been there. Also, I like Derek Jarman and his cottage is interesting (to me) - I have in-laws in Rye, love the place. Some fascinating history there.

Captain Pugwash and Harris Tweed creator lived in Rye for a while. Nice house near Ypers tower.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ryan_(cartoonist)

MikeMA likes this.
  20. gintonic

we loved our short time in Rye, our first visit, but not our last. It was the first stop on a road trip to Penzance, and eventually the Isles of Scilly