1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Room setup - remove “patio” door?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Whaleblue, Feb 8, 2020.

1. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

Lejonklou power amps allow you to switch off the power lights. Bliss

2. 406v6

406v6 pfm Member

Agree with Darth Vader. Put in some internal folding doors so that the space can be opened up when wanted. Allowing a decent amount of light into the room is crucially important

Whaleblue likes this.
  3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I have a lot of time for the Raidhos, if I had to use a smallish loudspeaker, they’d be close to the top of my list. They do need to be quite far apart if you’re going to get a wide soundstage, though, because IME they don’t project much wider than their outside edges. Imaging is very good between the boxes, though, and I luurve that ribbon tweeter.

4. Alexh

Alexh pfm Member

Whaleblue likes this.
  5. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

The problem with pushing the speakers further back in this case, I'd guess isn't the wall itself but reflections off the TV. Perhaps you could push them a smidge bit further back using less/no toe-in. Or nudge the TV further back on the rack. Now you're losing the fireplace (again) that will help of course.

6. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I had the same issue with my sofa being hard against the back wall. I put a large rug/drape thing on the wall behind the sofa which totally fixed it.

I refuse to have a TV in that room. What I do have is a projector so when I want it, I have a nine-foot screen on the wall but the screen vanishes at the flick of a switch! ;0)

7. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Not arguing about that but my living room has an eight foot wide and six-foot high window and I can hear the difference if it's not covered. The dining room at my work has glass walls on two sides and everyone complains about how loud it is.

8. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Interesting - do you have a reference? ISTR reading that glass reflects more the higher the frequency (almost no reflection or absorption at deep bass), but I can't recall where.

The nearest measurements I can find now are here https://www.glassonweb.com/article/acoustic-properties-glass-not-so-simple which show rising "sound proofing" toward higher frequency (this is fairly linear for double glazing) but sadly the chart stops at 4kHz. And I realise "sound proofing" isn't exactly reflection.

9. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

I advise to put the LP into space at almost any cost. The "almost" is because alternative compromises could be greater, as you decided, but I think that's rare.

10. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I've tried lots of things but my room works for me now. It's a good room, sounds good.

darrenyeats likes this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Found this by accident many moons ago (with m/coil floor-standers), Your sofa/chair should not back up to a wall. Whaleblue thinks 8" is fine for him but I'd say that was marginal for best results; basically the more the better (within domestic logistical reason). Much more 'air' and natural ambience.

Seems that this sitting position scenario extends to (big) ESLs as well, as my 7' sofa is across a bay but is sufficiently far out (18+"?) to get 3 bake-off participants sitting on the window sill. They say it's fine, but s.q. is better ON the sofa, i.m.o. or even on pouffes in front of it.

Normally, with cross-room firing, one is limited in the effective listening zone available (not in the case of 'down firing'), so pulling seating away from walls affects this; hence I always advocate down room firing wherever possible/feasible.

12. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Maybe the highish back to the sofa helps reduce reflections?

Just a guess there and here, but perhaps a way of testing how the room and boundaries may be affecting the sound is to try sitting nearfield. I've gone that way in my converted garage room and whilst I don't think I've got it just right yet (and my room is about 16' X 8') it certainly sounds better to me being less than 5 feet away from the speakers.

13. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Erm... it was a pun... doors removed... more open...

14. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Had a projector at the last house. Excellent things. In the new house Mrs Wb is happier with a more traditional TV.

Regarding the drape, are you saying this helped with low bass?

15. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

I don't think a high-backed sofa or headrest is quite the same as a wall. At a lot of the wavelengths we're talking about anyway, sound will mostly diffract or flow around objects of that size (unlike light), until it hits a boundary it can't flow around at which point it will reflect.

16. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Darren, are you suggesting that might help ensure bass modes are minimised??

17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Ye gods, Jez. An example of Arkless humour and I didn't recognise it ! Tut tut! (Slapped wrists).:)

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  18. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

I mean you'd be able to try an LP further into the room (since the intrusion would be compensated by the speakers being less into the room) to see if that works differently or better.

19. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Not specifically the bass. The room is quite bright, if you clap your hands you can hear the echo. Without the drape you could hear this noise coming off the wall behind your head. It wasn't terrible but it is definitely better with the drape. You are not aware of having a wall behind you. I don't remember noticing any change in the bass. There may have been, I can't remember. It was years ago. Bass in the room is very good, no big problems. Mana Isobarik stands took away the last bit of boom I was experiencing.

20. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Ah, I see. The LP is more limited by reasonable aesthetics! However, I have toed the D1s out a little, and moved them back six inches to no noticeable detriment, and obvious aesthetic improvement.

darrenyeats likes this.