1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Router advice/recommendations

Discussion in 'off topic' started by twotone, Apr 16, 2018.

1. s1h1

s1h1 performing within expectations

Avoid the postcode checker. Use your phone number on the BT wholesale site.
    https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

twotone likes this.
  2. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

The fibre part is from Openreach exchange to the roadside cabinet that holds the multiplexer. From there it will be copper. If your reported upload speed is correct then you will not be using ADSL as the technology is limited to around 1Mbps up max usually less. It might however be some sort of hybrid since you are out in the sticks. What BT service do you have as that may indicate what service you have - maybe.

A better DSL router will reap benefits in all sorts of ways. I don't think that the Draytek is difficult to set up using the wizard. However it is feature rich and this may confuse some people but you don't have to use any of these until one day when you might need some of them.

Cheers,

DV

twotone likes this.
  3. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Thanks DV, I'm not actually in the sticks I'm in the suburbs of Glasgow (G76) the nearest exchange is about 1.5 miles away in G46 think there's another up in G77 but BT seems to having major problems in that exchange/postcode.

I'm on BT business land line and broadband, I'm nearly 100 certain its ADSL broadband.

Tony

Here's my current connection from the pole in the back garden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. twotone

twotone pfm Member

5. twotone

twotone pfm Member

6. Darth Vader

Have you tried logging into the hub as administrator and going in to advanced mode. You should then see how the modem connects.

Cheers,

DV

7. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Just done that DV and can't see what the service is called

Here's the download/upload speeds

Connection Information
    Line state: Connected
    Downstream: 6.335 Mbps
    Upstream: 1.104 Mbps

8. Darth Vader

That looks like an ADSL link. There should be somewhere under advanced settings that'll show the actual link settings. You'll need this info for when you swap routers. It'll be under WAN link and tell you things like protocol, VPI, VCI, username and whether you are on ADSL or VDSL.

Cheers,

DV

9. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Hi DV, thanks again, nope can't see anything like that all I can see is the username and password which is hidden, DNS servers = Auto

Then these

TCP/IP settings
    Broadband network IP address:**.***.**.**
    Default gateway: ***.16.19.**
    Primary DNS: 81.***.57.***
    Secondary DNS: **.***.**. **

10. Darth Vader

Theses are your LAN settings and none of that info is of any danger to you so no need to hide it. For BT the BB class A IP address is temporary and only lasts until you reboot your router. The default gateway will most likely be the same for everyone as we all tend to use the same private IP address ranges. Again the DNS servers will be used by lots of people so no need to hide any of this stuff. Thats just FYI.

You need the WAN settings and they may be called something else but they are there. I don't have ready access to my rebadged Plusnet HH5 as its 350 miles away in our holiday pad but I did get all this info from it once in admin mode. Look for something like PPPoA which is the line protocol used by your MODEM in your router to the Mux in the roadside cabinet. Also the ISP username will most like be something like 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com'. Remember you will need these parameters to swap routers as these will need to be entered into a new router.

Cheers,

DV

twotone likes this.
  11. s1h1

Probably a static IP on BT Business, so probably best to hide it, and make sure you have these addresses written down.

Unfortunately not, from your screenshot - ADSL only. Virgin is your option for faster broadband, and you could keep your BT phone line.

Are any of the branches of those trees touching the line?

12. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

In my opinion the upload speed being over 50% of download suggests a line problem close to your property. The voltage drop to fault is less from your router than from the exchange.

We had a problem in the past where speed dropped to 150kb/s!!

BT said it's the distance from the exchange. Eventually the line failed completely with no phone service.

Now we get 3.5 Mb/s / 0.25Mb/s not brilliant but reliable. Look at the ratio of download to upload. This is a normal ratio.

twotone likes this.
  13. s1h1

Sorry, but this is wrong. Likely anti-virus software skewing results.

twotone likes this.
  14. twotone

twotone pfm Member

The BT wholesale page showed upload speed at about 1Mb/s and my own router is showing the same with download speed of about 5.5Mb/s so clearly that speed test site is different from both BT and the router itself.

15. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Yes, think your right re fibre/infinity not being available here yet. I have thought about going Virgin for broadband (not keen to be honest) and BT business for the phone line which is a priority as I run my business from the BT phone line albeit it's diverted 247 to my mobile.

I'll have a look at the tree branches in the morning but that pole and most of the overhead cable to my house and my next door neighbour on the left are in my other neighbour's garden or pass through his property at high level.

Thanks again.

Tony

16. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Thanks DV, username is below, still looking for the other stuff but as I've said before God only knows where the roadside cabinet is if, there even is one, don't those overhead copper wires come straight from the exchange?

My Business Hub
    My Services

Broadband Internet:
    Connected
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Broadband username: green-light@service.btclick.com
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Public Wi-fi Status: BT Wi-fi - Active
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    BT Static IP: Disabled
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    BT Access Control: Disabled
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the current connection status at the time of this post.

Connection Information
    Line state: Connected
    Downstream: 5.578 Mbps
    Upstream: 1.101 Mbps

IPv6 Configuration
    Hub IPv6 Gateway Address
    Name: BTBusinessHub.home

This part of event log mentions ppp0

22:52:42, 16 Apr. OUT: BLOCK [65] First packet is Invalid (Invalid tcp flags for current tcp state: TCP [2a00:23c0:db81:c801:e1f9:8829:32b1:04bd]:60380->[2a00:1450:4009:080c:0000:0000:0000:200a]:443 on ppp0)

17. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

I left BT broadband due to poor line speeds and lack of Infinity or anything better than a 2mb/s service and joined Virgin media. TBH they have been very reliable and despite a few issues a couple of weeks back I am content with their top offering of 200mb/sdown and 12mb/s up althouhg I rarely see those speed, usually around 100 to 120

twotone likes this.
  18. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Thanks, think I’m definitely going to go for Virgin broadband and keep bt business for the phone, the internet was stable last night with no drop outs so I’ll buy a new router , so with that in mind can anyone recommend a decent ADSL/Virgin Cable router & modem ie one that I can use with either so that I can use it with bt until I sign up with virgin?

My current bt broadband contract runs out in July this year but it’s only £20 a month so I’ll wait until July before cancelling it.

Thanks

Tony

19. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

If you are going VM Cable, then you have to use their cable modem. But you can use any router you like.

twotone likes this.
  20. Amber Audio

Amber Audio Trade: Amber Audio

Tony

Can you post a screencap of the ADSL Settings in the BT Hub - it should show Noise Margin & Line Attenuation, both Up and Down. This gives an indication of the quality of the line and the distance from the Exchange.

As suggested do a Quiet Line Test, put a phone into the test socket (remove BT Master Socket faceplate), dial 1070, choose Option 2, mute the phone if you can, it should be silent - no buzz/fizz/hum/pop/crackles.

Draytek are our go to Routers, they have a lot of menus but the basic stuff like getting them initially online is a Wizard and not unlike TP-Link et al. There is a new model just out around £100 - 2762 aimed for Home Offices, the main one we deploy for Business Offices is the 2862, both have various Wi Fi models and you can also put a SIM card in some for fail over or use a USB 4G stick in pretty much all of them. You can change the aerial for more powerful ones, they just screw on/off. Provided ones are about 3dBi, you can get 5 and 7 dBi dual ones fairly cheaply. http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/accessories/aerials

If you can get Virgin Cable I'd be tempted to take the risk and use it in Bridge mode to a decent router like the Draytek or Asus previously mentioned.

It appears you run a business over the comms so I'd recommend a real business ISP - zen.co.uk, proper UK support, back-end line stat graphs etc in their portal, they are dearer than normal ISP's but worth it for a business. You can add Enhanced Care onto the line to expedite BT fault response times, depends how critical down time is to you.

If you want to stick with BT I'd make sure the Router is plugged into the Master Socket and get it changed to the newest version Filtered Plate (NTE Socket). If you have it into an extension socket put in a BT Accelerator aka iPlate (Interstitial) so you can use filters in other sockets and have the Router stay where it is.

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/I-Plate-broadband-accelerator-adsl-faceplate

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/soho/vigor-2762-series-adsl-vdsl-router

Cable Modem and Ethernet WAN Compatible
    As well as being able to connect to ADSL/VDSL lines directly through the Vigor 2762's RJ11 'DSL' socket, the Vigor 2762 series can instead connect to Ethernet-fed Internet connections, such as that provided by cable modems (e.g. VirginMedia). When Ethernet WAN is enabled, LAN Port 4 switches to become your WAN port into which you can connect to your cable modem or other Ethernet feed.

HTH

Gus

JensenHealey and twotone like this.