1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Router-mains-mains-streamer

Discussion in 'audio' started by Thorn, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

My router is on one floor, my Moon ACE on another. The Wi-fi drops out occasionally, so I want to go Ethernet. Presumably there's little point in getting quality ethernet cables as the mains wiring will be the weak link. I'll need about 4' of cable at either end.
    Any suggestions for the cables and plugs and where to get it from?

2. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

If you're speaking of taking an ethernet cable from your router to the streamer directly where does the mains come into play?

3. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

I'm assuming Thorn is talking about ethernet-over-mains. I use TP-Link plugs (500mbps) - server is in the loft and streamer is two floors below. Works very well indeed.

Mick

booja30 and Thorn like this.
  4. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

Ah ok, it all now makes sense.... thanks

5. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

My understanding is that Ethernet over mains chucks huge amounts of noise into the mains. Whether that matters (measurable effects??), I don’t know.

darrenyeats likes this.
  6. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

Some people insist they can hear that noise. Best beware if noise is a concern.

Me I don’t use IP over mains nor would I

Cereal Killer and darrenyeats like this.
  7. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

It might be a lot less pain to just install a WiFi repeater.

8. Sunflower Sutra

Sunflower Sutra Active Member

Here’s a link which has some evidence base in the posts https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...llute-the-ac-main-for-audio-playback-quality/

Personal experience I use one, find it helps get noisy fan cooled equipment out of the listening room. I can turn my amplifier up to max and hear no audiable noise. However on a side note I have recently upgraded my power strip and removed switch mode power supplies from near the amplifier and have noticed an improvement in dynamics, so has spiked my curiosity in cleaning up my mains power.

9. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I tried IP over mains. It worked very well (feeding a tv) for about a day. Then all sorts of weirdness crept in. I cranked up a PC to look around and discovered peering into the router that a load of devices from the next door neighbour appeared on my network and then later discovered that my network was routing internet traffic through their Sky router! I could even hack into their router as they had got a generic password on it!

Try as I might, I could not untangle it properly so I took the mains devices out and have since lived with wifi to get around the house.

10. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

My modem is about 25m from my audio system. I use ethernet off the mains for another reason, to connect one end of an ethernet cable to the modem, the other end running 50m to the end of the garden to provide wifi in another building.

The modem is hard wired to the AV system using ethernet for the AV and a wifi access point (using AQ Pearl) and mostly fibre optic for the audio. The fibre converters are powered by a low noise iFi 9v supply at the sending end and a SOTM 9v battery at the other. The Innuos server has a medical grade mains filter, as does the Devialet streamer, and both are supplied with Shunyata noise reduction cabling and distribution. The result is very clean and reliable, even with the mains being used for ethernet, because the audio signal path is protected or immune from the mains. Whilst some of the system is expensive, the audio signal path from modern to streamer via the server is not: 3 x 1m Blue Jeans CAT6 ($10 each), 1 x 25m fibre optic (£15), 2 X TPlink media converters (£25 each), iFi and SOTM power supplies (£250). It's only the audiophile power supplies that are any significant cost, but the noise floor is much lower than the previous 25m ethernet cable running into an access point.

Generally I think wifi should be avoided unless the access point is inches away from the stereo system. The signal loss from using repeaters is usually shocking.

Running the ethernet and fibre cables was a bit of hassle, had to take up flooring, drill holes through a ceiling and run behind skirting. I did it when I had a decorator in, it took 3 hours to run cables, put everything back, and he fixed the paintwork. You only have to do it once. I used AQ Pearl because it is insulated like CAT 6a and AQ supply their own quality connectors that were expertly applied by Futureshop. It costs £3.50/m.

11. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

I would rather (and I do) use Wi-Fi rather than powerline networking.