1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Roxy Music documentary BBC4 2200 tonight (7/12)

Discussion in 'music' started by Marchbanks, Dec 7, 2018.

1. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Ferry to Roxy Music, compares to Thatchers hatred of the unions, they both killed the spirit

Bloss

2. neildalton

neildalton pfm Member

Hey Weekender,

I agree - what we’re left with are, manifestly, Ferry songs.

My point was that, if he’d been more willing to let the music flow - if he had been less afraid, more collegiate, less controlling and proprietorial regarding the creative output of the band he’d formed - he’d now be looking back on a much more thrilling and highly regarded collection of recordings.

Ps I’d forgotten - it wasn’t Manzanera at this point in the recordings. It was The Other Guy.

PPS. You should now find a few of these starting to appear on YouTube :)

Weekender likes this.
  3. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Music docs. on BBC 4 used to be good, but they’re saving money to make EastEnders better.
    Sorry, I meant better in the BBC’s opinion...

4. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Yep, many are pants now

Lost count of the number of times I've seen the same clips of Anarchy in the UK and snarling punkettes

5. Durmbo

Durmbo Not French

I must look for these early recordings, thanks.

For Your Pleasure isn't quite as exuberant or diverse as the first one. But it's more consistent in style, and to my mind the equal of the first album.

It's well worth seeking out the first CD releases as they sound fabulous compared to the LPs and the equally poor flat transfers from a few years ago.

Ferry had very definite ideas about how his songs should be performed. Increasingly he reduced space for improvisation and experiment, particularly by Manzanera and Mackay: they and Eddie Jobson became compliments rather than foils. All spontaneity was gone by Siren: even Thompson sounds bored on that album.

neildalton and Weekender like this.
  6. Durmbo

Durmbo Not French

I don't agree that early Roxy was solely Ferry's band. Although the tracks on the first two albums are all credited to Ferry, they couldn't have been made what they are without the imagination and work of the other band members.

According to Eno's biography, when the crisis with Eno came to a head, and after a good sulk, Ferry gave the band a choice to either continue with him or go with Eno. They chose the safest course of action.

While in Roxy, Eno beat Ferry both on stage and in the bedroom. Ferry was a jealous guy all right.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  7. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

I agree re the others important contributions. A bit like Reed and the Velvet Undergound maybe. I should listen to the demos mentioned...
    I'll have to read the Eno book, I'm sure it would be entertaining. (Edit.. just purchased).

8. Durmbo

Durmbo Not French

If you're an Eno fan you'll enjoy the book, Weekender. It's been a few years since I read it so my recollection about his leaving Roxy may be more rustworthy than trustworthy.

Weekender likes this.