1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rugged camera bag...Domke?

Discussion in 'photo' started by jimbob75, Feb 26, 2013.

1. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

Looking for a camera bag to hold a Nikon D90 body, mid zoom and small prime.

My ideal requirements are: compact, rugged, durable and unfussy in design.

Not keen on anything that looks too obviously like a camera bag (eg Lowepro).

The best options so far seem to be the Domke range, albeit they seem quite pricey from the UK.

Anyone using these bags, or can recommend an alternative?

2. batfink10

batfink10 Active Member

No experience of the Domke range but after much research, I went for a Kata DR-465 which is fantastic. Very unassuming (doesn't look like a camera bag) and not too big with plenty of space for your kit. It happily holds my D5000, 35mm Prime and Kit lens with space for a couple of others too.

3. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but looking for something as compact as possible ie a small shoulder bag rather than backpack.

4. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Hi,

My Billingham bag must be 30 year old and its still going strong, its been on the deck of the Maid of the Mist and not let water in.

Pete

5. cliffpatte

cliffpatte Speed camera anarchist

The Domke F-803 camera satchel bag at £150 ish seems to have a rival in the Crumpler range: The Jackpack 300 at £50ish

6. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

Billingham do look good quality, with a price to match.

Not come across the Crumpler range - look interesting, thanks.

7. Darren555

Darren555 pfm Member

Take a look at the Think Tank Retrospective range. Similar low key looks to Domke & Crumpler but IMHO better thought out.

8. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

Take care of how the bag will hang on the body, if it is an off the shoulder bag in the classic Billingham style you run the risk of back issues as the shoulder supporting the bag is hunched up to hold the bag from falling off.

Spoken with experience from carting a Bilingham or carting a laptop bag on right shoulder through airports etc and now somewhat restricted in what I can do.

9. dan m

dan m pfm Member

I recently received a Billingham Hadley Pro as a gift. It is a great camera bag, and doubles as my daily laptop (macbook air), documents, gloves, etc. satchel. Very nice build quality. The front pockets are large enough that I can put my Nikon V1 with lens in one of them - the other has notepad, earbuds, etc. I either use the handle or wear the strap across my body, so don't get the hunched shoulder problem. Pricey, but built to last and has multiple uses. Too many camera bags stay 99% of their time in the closet.

BTW, I do have a Domke sized for just a rangefinder - works great and is discreet. Maybe a better deal in the US then the UK.

10. i-s

i-s pfm Member

I have been through many a camera bag.

Oyster holster case, Lowepro Nova 2, Lowepro Nova 4, CCS Mammoth + belt pouches, Crumpler Budgie Smuggler, Crumpler Shrinkle, Kinesis belt system...

I finally found the bag that works all the time for me: Think Tank Speed Freak.

I would suggest looking at the Think Tank Retrospective 5 for something a bit more incognito.

11. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

12. Mousey

Mousey pfm Member

13. Milan

Milan pfm Member

I use a Domke F6 to hold a D300, 18-70 and 70-300. It will hold a body and up to 4 lenses, depending on size. My only negative is I would prefer a few more pockets.

14. bazza

bazza pfm Member

Can vouch here as well for the Retro range although as others have noted if you have a fair bit in a shoulder bag it can make the old back ache.I have the Retro 20 and with the gripped D300 and a couple of lenses and stuff in it can pull down on your shoulder quite a bit after a while,still prefer it to a back pack though.

15. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

I've got a small shoulder strapped, and rucksack from crumpler. They seem well made and stylish (to me), although some of their names are 'interesting' ;-)

16. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

I've got a far few Domke Bags F2's and Camera satchels mainly, they are rugged and do wear well i used one everday for many years, in fact i still use my satchels 3 Days a week. They are very expensive in the UK (although now they seem to be expensive in the US too!) are low profile both in function and in appearance, the camera protection is only adequate compared to something like a Billingham (which i dont like) the classic Domke's are just plain canvas.

I also used a lowe pro classic rucksack (which small and very plain looking not like the new ones) with the badge removed after seeing that James Nachtwey was using one, it's certainly better for the back.

Dave's an expert on bags ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  17. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

Thanks everyone, should be able to choose something appropriate from those suggestions.
    Jim

18. mr_phillip

mr_phillip pfm Member

You've probably got something sorted by now, but I thought I'd pitch in with another recommendation for Crumpler. I've owned four or five different Crumpler models over the years (some old enough to still have film holders) and they've never let me down. And living in Scotland, they've had plenty opportunity to prove their rain proofing too.