1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rumsfeld v. Stewart

Discussion in 'off topic' started by tones, Feb 25, 2011.

1. tones

tones Tones deaf

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Damn it: "This video is unavailable from your location".

Tony.

3. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

4. tones

tones Tones deaf

That's the one. Jon Stewart is always very polite to his guests, which I like, but which is a shame sometimes, because old gits such as Rumsfeld stay firmly in their alternative universe. As The Economist put it nicely in its review of Rumsfeld's book, nothing was his fault.

5. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I think that's the point. The administration of GW Bush was staffed with people who have no concept of self-doubt. Anyone with any doubt left or was pushed. Colin Powell and Paul O'Neill are two examples. Wolfowitz, Pearl, Rumsfeld, Cheney .... did any of them ever admit to failing at anything ? All of them have had careers strewn with failures that they have never acknowledged.

It was great that Stewart found the quote in Rumsfeld's book about the dangerous combination of "power and certainty". The only thing I'd add is that even more dangerous is the combination of "power, certainty, and a complete unawareness of your own certainty" and the Bush administration had these three things in spades.

6. wheres vuk

wheres vuk pfm Member

did you guys see the Robert Gates, current sec.Defense speak to West POint cadets yesterday and said "any future defense secretary who sends the US Army to occupying land battles in future need to have their head examined". I thought i was a backwards kick to D. Rumsfeld. The entire context of his comments though, was that war changes and armor and force type wars are of the past, and insurgencies and guerilla and UAV are the future. He also separately said, how do you plan for buy $100bn of aerial tankers(boeing 767s), when in 20-30-40 years, nobody knows if you need them ?

wise man this robert gates, and george bush appointed him. i think he was bush senior's director of CIA in the 90s too. and he's stayed on under the democrats.

failures: rumsfeld bulldozed the approval of aspartame while he was CEO of Searle despite FDA doubts. the man can do anything.

7. tones

tones Tones deaf

The scary thing is that they've played these tricks before:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2798679275960015727#

The face at 1:39 and 25:49 may seem familiar somehow...

8. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I've seen that "Power of nightmares" film. ISTR that it concludes that Al Qaeda and neoconservatives are cut from the same cloth. Both regard the general population as untrustworthy, and seek to control them using fear of a nebulous enemy as their primary means of control.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Power Of Nightmares was an amazing documentary IMO. One of the most thought-provoking television series I've ever seen.

Tony.

10. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

now there's a roll call of monsters. Warmongering shit stirrers and enablers.

11. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

What shocks me is the indifference to the huge suffering he was a major player in causing.
    Kids blown to bits, burnt, blinded, starved, deformed by DU and this war criminal swaggers about on prime time.

12. TheDecameron

now thats saying something

13. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

[​IMG]
    Picture. Annie Leibovitz

In this portrait (although you can't see it clearly in this image because it's so small) Rumsfeld has a sticking plaster on his thumb, your eye is drawn to this almost straight away. He could of put his hand out of sight, but he didn't. Its almost seems like a gesture to show how human he is.

He's fooling no one.

14. tones

tones Tones deaf

It's the quasi-religious belief in America as a (or even the) source of good in the world, destined to fight "evil" and bring "freedom", that I find most perplexing and most disturbing. One can see how the religious cranks are so attracted to the Republicans.

15. TheDecameron

my eye was drawn to the lizard queen- Condoleeza- in the tableau vivant you linked to.

16. Anex

Anex Señor Member

He's describing the plot of In The Loop almost to a t there.

17. Wilson

Wilson _

Why the hyphen?

18. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Jeez, does Cheney ever not reek of condescension?

19. fentontfox

fentontfox pfm Member

I think i've read some where that sociopaths and psychopaths think everybody else is beneath them so probably not.