1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

S/H Bridge Camera

Discussion in 'photo' started by steveledzep, Mar 29, 2017.

1. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

Had an Olympus OM-2 40 years or so ago with a variety of lenses. I was sufficiently competent to do my sister's wedding successfully.

Since then I have had a number of point-and-shoot digitals, Kodak, Samsung and currently a Sony 5mp 12x zoom jobby.

I'd like to try being a bit creative again and have my eye on Fuji S8200 with a budget of c£100.

Is this a good choice and are there any other models I should consider ? Thank you :)

2. Newboy

Newboy pfm Member

Funnily enough I have an Olympus C5050 + extras which I was going to put on ebay. I attach the ebay wording I was going to use. If you are interested send me a PM. I would take £100 to include postage from France, where I live. Only actually selling because I have just bought a new camera, otherwise I have been using it as a backup & for its close up capabilities;

Description:

Olympus C5050, near mint & boxed,

This is an older digital camera now, but even with only 5 mega pixels, still a good camera which takes first class pictures. F/1.8-2.6 fast lens, zooming from 35 to 105 mm (35mm equivalent). Fantastic close up abilities (closest focusing at 3cm gives 2.7 x 3.7 cm subject). Eight programmable memory modes. Jpeg, Raw &Tiff recording. Real image optical VF. Tilting LCD monitor. Takes 2 different cards (XD & Compact Flash). Uses rechargeable AA batteries/alkaline batteries.

With all original CDs and connection leads, lens cap, charger (with continental plug), strap etc. 16MB XD card.

Camera tends to hesitate on start up & shut down once before settling down, no other faults noted but not used much recently
    Good starter camera for son or daughter learning digital photography.

No batteries included

Extras: (all in mint condition)

WCON-07 wide angle converter lens, giving 24mm ability (35mm equivalent) with mounting rings (both boxed).
    Leather case
    Mains adapter (continental plug)
    256 MB XD card
    3 x 256MB Compact Flash cards
    Wireless remote control
    XD card holder
    XD card adapter.
    ‘Short Course’ book on C5050 by Dennis P. Curtin

No reserve
    No returns as I am a private seller.

3. Newboy

Newboy pfm Member

PS I can photos if you like.

4. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

Thank you for your offer, no thanks.

Anyone with any viewpoint on my question ? Compared to all here I'm a bit of a cheapskate I suppose, but questions about Rega Planar 3s get plenty of response in the HiFi section.

5. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

Thanks for your help guys....really appreciated !

Responded to in the true forum spirit :(

6. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

dispair not. I've just arrived. I know nothing about the camera you're asking about. For a ton, why not try it? Seems well reviewed, and it's a Fujifilm - so colour processing should be magical.

I wouldn't buy a 5MP P&S these days either, even for ten quid.

7. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

Yes, but a £100 s/h bridge camera is more like a Technics Music Centre than a Rega Planar 3, it's not separates you see!!!

But in all seriousness, if that's your budget, then the Fuji is a pretty good buy, I have a friend who has one, and whilst its not the greatest camera in the world, she is happy with it, and gets some good shots. You just have to remember that a bridge camera is all about compromise with an great paper specification. Something somewhere has to give at that price, and it's usually the qualkity of the glass and responsiveness.

So as long as you don't expect super sharp resolution pictures at all focal lengths and don't mind a delay after you've pressed the shutter to the the picture being acquired you'll be fine.

As Rico says, the colour processing should be great (as it's a Fuji)

8. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

Thank you Rico and Mr Perspective.

My question was really seeking guidance to Canon, Nikon, Pentax et al vs my choice of Fuji. It's reassuring that you both respect the colour capabilities of Fuji.

Mr P, I do understand the compromise of a bridge camera vs separates, but willing to accept that as I just want to dip my toes in the water again after many years without my SLR kit. If I regain a passion, then who knows ?

Unfair analogy in my opinion, as I think I have a Technics music centre equivalent on my phone.

I have made a purchase on eBay for a Fuji S8200. I'm looking forward to having a play.