1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung A3 2016 battery replacement. Worth the hassle?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Mullardman, May 16, 2019.

1. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

It's a nice phone. Not too big and does what I want it to., but at about 3 years old it is now showing battery issues. Taking a long while to charge and a short time to go flat.

Batteries seem to be available for not much on Amazon or eBay and there are a few videos about showing how to do the job. It involves heating the glued on back then carefully prising it off, then removing the frame and finally pushing the battery out before fitting new battery and reversing the procedure. Doesn't look too challenging.

Has anyone tried this?

2. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Not an A3 but done similar, yes it is straight forward. One has now lasted longer on the replacement battery than the original.

Mullardman likes this.
  3. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Glad you said that because I've just ordered the necessary. Battery about £7, double sided tape for replacement, about £1.70, and a set of assorted plastic and metal prising and poking about tools for about £3.00. Probably don't really need the latter but they should make the job easier..
    So, if it all works out I should have a revitalised phone for under 12 quid.

4. Ruairi

Ruairi pfm Member

I had a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I bought a brand new battery and it did not noticeably improve battery life. I bought a new phone a short while later. I don't have the technical explanation for this.

5. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I have done this three times on my wife's Samsung tablet. The first two times were using cheapo batteries from Ebay. With the first, the first time I charged the thing, the battery swelled up and started smouldering. The second battery last three months after which time it held no charge at all. The third battery, still working after a year was an OEM Samsung battery, cost alot more.

6. venton

venton pfm Member

Most of the Samsung batteries on Amazon and ebay are fakes, even from apparently reputable sellers. They'll do the job so no biggie. Always genuine batteries will be a premium price and come in proper branded packaging. If you want to know for sure there are sites which visually compare fake vs genuine (eg font type, spacing etc)

7. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Does the phone still get security updates? Probably not so I would not bother.

8. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

As others have said, eBay full of fake batteries, they are dangerous, can cause fires and someone was killed in China when one exploded when he was making a call.

9. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

I used genuine, would not, as said, trust dodgy copies.
    Did that once, many years ago, for wife's Moto. Razr, bulged and died after only a couple of charges.