1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Scam warning

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Tony L, Feb 26, 2011.

1. kernow

kernow Member

Well that's me out £1250
    Woo

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

3. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, these are rife in the guitar section too. I’ve no idea how they’ve got past eBay as there is no BIN or bid option, only a ‘contact seller’ which is to some burner phone or dodgy email. I don’t understand how they even qualify as a listing on the eBay system as they are technically just a redirection elsewhere with no option to buy or bid.

5. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Sorry to read this. How did you pay and how did they convince you it was legit?

6. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Watch out for this scammer based in Italy, allegedly. I figured it was a scam, because of the €1200 asking price for a Lampizator 7 Lite DAC. The seller cannot do PayPal. When I asked for a photo of a recent newspaper with the DAC, the item is located 100 km away in their holiday home. Strangely, they can ship it quite promptly after payment is received....

This is the second HiFi item I have had the photo information below from the seller to try and instill confidence, so he is working under different email addresses, but seemingly with the same photos and information.

Bank Transfer Details:

Account name : Alessandra Laccarino Toni Azzoni
    IBAN: IT61V0760103200001048211922
    Swift/Bic: BPPIITRRXXX
    Bank name: Poste Italiane S.P.A.
    Bank address: Viale Europa 175 00144 Roma
    My address: Via Ca Zuliani 6 30173 Venezia

Email: ‎Toni Azzoni piegianni554@gmail.com

These are the Photos sent to confirm ID:

[​IMG]Toni Azzoni by Stuart Frazer, on Flickr

[​IMG]Azzoni2 by Stuart Frazer, on Flickr

[​IMG]me by Stuart Frazer, on Flickr

[​IMG]family by Stuart Frazer, on Flickr
    [​IMG]

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just had a report by PM of what sounds like a scam attempt from a zero-post newbie using a similar MO to above. Even mentioned bloody Bitcoin! Now deleted, obviously, but I can’t catch everything.

My advice, as ever, is to use the pfm 50 posts/3 month’s membership security strategy we put in place and never deal with members with less than 50 posts that you have carefully reviewed unless you have very good reason for doing so. Even then tread carefully and don’t send money or goods anywhere unless you know exactly where they are going.

irb and PhilofCas like this.
  8. kernow

kernow Member

That's the dude who scammed me
    It's not Anton Matton. This dude is rife on second hand selling sites like adpost.

After six weeks and having written 1450 euros off, I might finally be getting it back. If anyone wants to see the email chain with this crook, I have all the evidence.

9. kernow

kernow Member

I got his bank account shut down. No idea how he's accessing the banks

And I'm reporting all of his sales posts.
    I got the exact same story about the holiday home etc

10. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

If he's a practised scammer he may have multiple identities and bank accounts. Although the doctoring of his identity card just by changing a letter or so looks a bit rudimentary.

11. kernow

kernow Member

I was told he was Anton Matton
    I imagine that old Italian dude is dead by now, or 88

12. kernow

kernow Member

Just got every penny of my 1450 euro payment back

Yesss

madscientist and Wolfmancatsup like this.
  13. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Well done - you`ll be able to afford a Pasty or two now.

kernow likes this.
  14. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Any chance you can share with us how you got your money back, might be useful for others to know the process you used?

15. irb

irb pfm Member

There are scammers on forums and ad sites as well as eBay, as the recent posts on this thread make clear. I've got hundreds of trades on eBay and have never fallen victim to a scammer there. Maybe I've just been lucky. Things can and do go wrong on eBay from time to time, as they can with any purchase.
    But the only time I've ever been cheated, plain and simple, was buying from classifieds on a well-known UK forum. It was only a fiver for a CD, but others lost more. The culprit stopped using the forum in question after he did that. He's still an active member on here though.

16. Olli I

Olli I pfm Member

Who is that member so I can avoid dealing with him/her?

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  17. irb

irb pfm Member

Well, it was in 2012 that it happened. I don't want to trash someone publicly for something that happened so long ago. I can provide details to Tony if he thinks it's appropriate.
    The member in question has been selling high value items here recently. I've no reason to think there was any problem, though.

18. kernow

kernow Member

I just went through the fraud department at my bank.

19. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

cheers.

20. irb

irb pfm Member

Well, I knew as I typed the words above that they were rather bold, and I might come to regret them. But I didn't expect it to happen within a week. Unfortunately I'm now down £500, after the buyer of a pair of Martin Logans I sold on eBay claimed that they arrived with a panel not working. He lives 350 miles from me, and foolishly I agreed to meet him halfway for the handover. So I had no way to prove they were 100% when I handed them over to him, even though they'd been playing perfectly for me the night before.

The guy seemed straight at first but as the last few days have gone on his communications became pretty odd. I simply don't know whether he was telling the truth, or whether it was all a scam. But I suspect the latter.

Nonetheless, to cut a long story short, I ended up agreeing to a partial refund. Yes there were other options, but I judged they all had drawbacks that made them less palatable. (Part of that's because of the difficulty of travel at the moment, and part of that's due to personal circumstances - a family illness.)

Any thoughts? Any experience of this sort of thing? On reflection I think that meeting halfway was a mistake. I think the risk of being scammed would be much lower if I'd insisted on the buyer collecting in person, and I'd demonstrated that the speakers were working 100% before handing them over.