1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Scam warning

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Tony L, Feb 26, 2011.

1. A friend who’s a member here but rarely post was scammed via Gumtree int he last fortnight. The seller claimed to be from Scotland and the item was a Cambridge Audio steamer. My friend paid £500 via bank transfer and the seller Sent a fake tracking number and suddenly went quiet. Buyer has contacted the courier for the supposed item which they confirmed doesn’t exist. He also contacted the police and gumtree who were less helpful. So beware if you come across this advert.

hifilover1979 likes this.
  2. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 35yrs a Naim owner

What I did recently was to send the buyer a picture of my passport and a utility bill in my name to reassure him that the bank account he was paying into (in my name) matched the above
    This evidence was all in picture with the item for sale

It's not an unreasonable thing to do when a buyer is parting with a few grand on trust!

3. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

I do a bit on fb marketplace with lego and most people are happy to use bank transfer. FB market does have a feedback system which helps buyers see my bona fide. Some buyers insist on paypal which I usually refuse because it is such a buyers charter and more risk for me as a seller, although they think the risk is to them. Actually most people buying and selling lego are a decent bunch.
    Anyone see the guy in Manchester on gumtree, no txts, no offers and always higher end gear. Where he gets it all from I wonder but his ads are off putting.

4. outfaced

outfaced New Member

With bank transfer the risk is for the buyer only ... with pay pal is almost 50:50 and at least both are traceable.
    In a paypal deal If you do your part (pictures of the goods you are selling, tracking Nr. ect) you have actually more in case of scam, then the buyer sending money to a bank account and just have to wait and hope it gets what he payed for and if not the only option is to contact the police. Even more difficult and risky for the buyer if is not from UK.

5. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

I don't usually get a problem with bank transfers. I use FB market which I believe is damaging eBay's core business because ebay are always offering £1 listings which tells me they're worried. FB market has a feedback system so that helps build trust.