1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Secret audio club

Discussion in 'audio' started by loz2103, Mar 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. loz2103

loz2103 pfm Member

Ok, bear with me as this might seem like a silly question to some of you, but I'm just not sure how this is done.

Like everyone on this forum, I assume, I only really feel it's worth trying out new kit in my actual listening room with my existing kit, rather than doing so in a perfect spacious anechoically damped hifi shop listening room. What do people usually do? Buy kit online, try it out and then send it back if it doesn't suit? It just seems like a very long process.

I'm not asking for a magic bullet here, but was wondering do people on this forum meetup and share kit with each other, or something of that sort? I've recently bought some kit off of a fellow audio enthusiasts, who were great to chat to and sit down and have a listen to some music with. The forum is great, but I always wonder if people get together to chat actually in person, listen to music, even have a beer? I appreciate that this is clearly a location dependent thing.

Is trying to organise something like this on the forum frowned upon? Obviously we all need to be vigilant of scammers, which is easier to do from behind the protection of your laptop screen, but that aside, is there anything wrong with setting up a local hifi club? There might be loads of these already and I've just had my head in the sand, who knows.

I'd just like to know people's thoughts.

Btw, I'm in Oxford.

2. Bourneendboy

Bourneendboy pfm Member

I'm also in Oxford and would be interested in a meet up.

3. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Meet ups (“bake-offs” in the forum vernacular) are a lovely idea.

I’ve run a number, but not for ages. Good luck getting one going!

darrenyeats likes this.
  4. Hoopsontoast

Hoopsontoast pfm Member

It's called a 'bake off'.
    And another Oxfordshire member

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  5. Rick_F

Rick_F pfm Member

Once you've been to a few bake off's you'll be able to put faces to forum I.D's and also gain a lot more experience of other kit and how it sounds to your ears. It also helps when looking at kit as your new mates may have also heard it and be able to give you an idea if you may like it. You soon learn what your mates like as well and can look out for kit for them. It's all very sociable and well worth doing.

crimsondonkey and linnfomaniac83 like this.
  6. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I have a couple of audio enthusiast/music nut friends (not members of this forum) and we have a listening session with food and drink about once a month, invariably at my house (I have the dedicated space wheee we don’t annoy family members). If someone wanted to hear something I owned, I’d happily let them come and listen along with their own kit, or pop round if they’re not too far. It’s all part of the fun... in fact I have personally delivered a couple of bits of kit to members here within a 50 mile radius, Most people on here are long term members and regular posters, I’d trust them.

If any members here wanted to do meet-ups, I’d be up for that, I’m in the West Midlands.

Spenagio, FireMoon and BLACKMASS like this.
  7. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

My listening room is a bit small for a bake-off... my living room isn’t though, I’d say I could squeeze 8-10 people in easily with the table chucked in the conservatory. Might host one sometime.

BLACKMASS and Rick_F like this.
  8. kjb

kjb pfm Member

I'm also in Oxford - up in Headington - and would be interested in joining up but my listening room is quite cramped and my household arrangements far from ideal to bringing kit round to swap - lots of family coming and going etc. a meet up would be great though

Kevin

9. loz2103

loz2103 pfm Member

Wow, this was easier than expected. Dunno why I thought it'd be hard, but the you go. Oxford people, shall we pm to meetup?

10. i.j.russell

i.j.russell pfm Member

I've ran nearly 20 bakeoffs over the last few years near Coventry but the numbers interested/attending has been dropping over time, so I've stopped doing them for the foreseeable future.

11. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

I'm in the north of Oxfordshire, but have a bit of space, but for the foreseeable, no time, but I'd like to be kept in touch with the 'club' if it gets going.

12. Devonian

Devonian Pursuing my ultimate musical orgasm

I'd also be interested! Live in Frome, North Somerset. Any other PFM'ers local?

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It's a great idea and already in place. In addition to bake-offs there are groups of friends who meet up (a few of us met up after the cricket at Headingley last year), I have a pfm friend in Bath who I make a point of visiting whenever I'm in the SW, there's at least one set of speakers doing the rounds on a floating loan basis, an oscilloscope that nominally belongs to me, or certainly used to, but is doing the rounds amongst the DIYers, there is DIY help where people take their piles of non functioning bits to let other people have a go, and so on. Oxford is a great location, within an hour's travel there are any number of people who would be very enthusiastic about this. There's only one rule about pfm secret hifi club... that is that the host lays on decent tea and coffee and expensive biscuits. Have fun.

Hoopsontoast likes this.
  14. Bourneendboy

Bourneendboy pfm Member

Happy for a pub meet up initially.

15. Re-Joyce

Re-Joyce ... Jason H that is.

Can host a few people. Oxford (well, 3 miles East) as well!

Bourneendboy likes this.
  16. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

One of the reasons I joined the HiFiWigwam was for this very reason. Sadly that has died down considerably, but there used to be bake-offs in my area quite often.

17. loz2103

loz2103 pfm Member

Sounds like a plan. Will pm soon.

18. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

I'm about 20mins west of Oxford and also interested :)

19. sp25

sp25 pfm Member

20. loz2103

loz2103 pfm Member

Dear all of you near Oxford, myself and @Bourneendboy are meeting up for a drink or two with the aim of just generally discussing hifi and maybe planning a bake-off.

Time: 8pm
    Date: 26th March

Hope to see you there