1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD800S

Discussion in 'audio' started by ToTo Man, Jun 2, 2016.

1. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Having pleaded since February, I finally have a pair of Sennheiser HD800S in my possession to review. In short, I wish I'd never asked to hear them, as they make my incumbent HD600 sound like a very poor relative (not that I wasn't expecting this, of course!). It's been almost a year since I reviewed MrSpeakers Ether, so I cannot provide a contemporaneous comparison, but from memory the HD800S are at least on a par, sharing the same wonderful openness/spaciousness and transparency. The Ether might have a tad more palpable bass, but the HD800S may well win in the mids which are simply sublime. I am in a state of intense envy!…

N.B. I have not heard the original HD800 model so cannot comment on the differences/improvements the 'S' brings over its predecessor.

2. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

Wow. I just bought them no reviewing. Wouldn't have raved about them like you have. Then I'm not of a reviewing disposition or so emotional in the way I perceive things.

3. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

You don't like them?

4. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

An interesting assumption.

5. novak

novak pfm Member

I have pair of HD800S also.

They're my favourite headphones to date. I have owned Stax (inc 009 and latest L700), Audeze LCDX, Grado (Many models) and HD800 too. Haven't directly compared the 800S to the aforementioned but after extended use with the other 'phones I always ended having a few niggles and troubles - too bright, too dark, uncomfortable fit, only good on certain tracks etc. I haven't found that with the 800S yet, and had a good run in with them so far.

Would love to hear them against Stax 009 as they're a distant memory, they just didn't seem right at the time, the bass in particular wasn't to my taste, but that could have been the Stax amp that many seem to report a similar issue compared to BH amps etc.

Using the 800S with a Chord Hugo. Very nice match, and super simple.