1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] Serviced Garrard 301 & plinth (NO tonearm) UK Only

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by John_73, Aug 9, 2018.

1. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

After a lot of deliberation I have finally decided to sell my Garraed 301. I recently bought a Technics SL1200G, as I fancied something more compact, so I need to recoup some of that outlay.

This 301 has had a lot of work (not to mention money & time) put into it. In no particular order:

The chassis and linkages where both stripped by Audio Grail, repainted and replated.

The motor was completely stripped down by myself, thoroughly cleaned, new oil retaining pads installed, and re-oiled. Runs beautifully now.

New sintered idler wheel bearings (from Audio Silente in Italy) fitted.

The main bearing & housing was ultrasonically cleaned by Audio Grail.

Idler wheel checked & cleaned by Audio Grail.

New switch contact suppressor and rubber grommets from Perfect Sound fitted.

New reproduction Garrard platter mat from Perfect Sound.

The platter was repainted and strobe markings re-made by CTC.

The plinth is a two level (2 x 50mm plywood layers) custom design made by Russ Collinson which cost me £540 alone. Cutout is for a standard 9” SME arm (I used an SME 309). Upper level is finished in a lovely maple veneer with a satin oiled & waxed finish. The lower level is spray painted a lightly textured matt dark grey. Both levels are connected by bolts, allowing experimentation if one wished to play about with vibration damping washers etc. The underside is cut to allow easy access to the arm wiring, and also to allow the motor adequate ventilation (too many plinths seem to ignore this. That motor runs hot). An IEC mains socket is fitted to the rear.

Very good/near mint condition, just one very tiny nick in the paint below the left chassis mounting bolt, just visible in the photos, and another to the rear which is covered completely by the platter.

Please note, this sale is for the deck and plinth only. *SME tone-arm NOT included*

Looking for £2000. No other offers or swaps please. Would prefer if buyer collects (from Basingstoke) as this item is very heavy and could be damaged if couriered. I don’t want to run that risk after the work that’s gone into it.

Please PM me if genuinely interested in buying (sorry, no overseas sales - UK only, and I prefer buyers with a posting history here).

John.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

foxbat likes this.
  2. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Question - what is are the dimensions of the plinth? - I need to understand how much shelf depth is needed. Thx

3. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

That T/T looks stunning. GLWTS.

John_73 likes this.
  4. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Yes lovely, final deck for someone.

John_73 likes this.
  5. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

Hi there.

The plinth measures 515mm wide, 430mm deep and 125mm high.

John

6. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Thank you. Looks deeper than that in the pictures - off to find a tape measure.

John_73 likes this.
  7. Diver 41

Diver 41 pfm Member

Wow--Superb-- just a tip -- drop a line or call terry@garrard501.com and get him to send you a small pot of the correct touch up paint for couple of quid would do the spot and any others proud!

GLWTS
    D41

John_73 likes this.
  8. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

9. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

Reduced to £1900.