1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Servicing our oil fired Aga.......

Discussion in 'off topic' started by foxwelljsly, Sep 11, 2019.

1. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

We get through around 1000 litres a year but that's just heat and water, no cooking as that's electric. We also use a woodburner that eliminates at least two radiators usually.
    I have considered an Aga but we have a small old farmhouse and the kitchen doesn't really lend itself to two cookers, as you say we'd need a "normal" cooker during the warmer months...

2. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

That about agrees with our consumption. This was a Nobel cooker (French version of an Aga) and it roughly doubled our oil consumption, so that if we did not use it at all, our Oil fired boiler used about 800litres a year, and the Noble added another tank full. I don't think the cost is fully justified in pure energy terms or even in Aga's much advertised 'locked in flavour', but in terms of pleasure (hard to cost as it's so personal, but once tried in a winter kitchen that has room for a nearby armchair, not easily forgettable...my wife lived in that chair with the dog), it works. We had another experience on the barge, on which the builder had installed a 50 year old coal burning Rayburn. Well suffice to say that they are luckily, no longer made. This house had a clean sheet kitchen but we opted for a gas/electric ovened range cooker and it's very cheap by comparison. The gas top used one 45k cylinder a year (£65) and the ovens? But not much. If it costs us £200 a year I'd be amazed. And it cooks beautifully.

The dog however, is sad.

scotty38 and peterm like this.
  3. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

Agree with the above. I'd have a much harder time stopping myself getting an Aga if our kitchen was big enough to live in, or at least have an armchair at its side. It would cause much confusion with the dogs as they'd have trouble deciding whether to lie in front of that or the woodburner :)

peterm likes this.
  4. peterm

peterm pfm Member

I forgot about the dogs - they love it!

Oh, and you can dry the washing on it as well!

We used to have 2 radiators in the kitchen/dining room, one was removed when we got the Aga and the other one's been turned on only a handful of times in the last 20 years (usually for Christmas lunch if it's VERY cold outside).

5. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

We do not own an AGA but have used them in several holiday lets.
    One thing I would say is they are marvellous for slow cooking. The food produced is so gently cooked and has a lot of flavour.
    I guess a Slow Cooker might achieve the same result though I've never used one.

6. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

OK, thanks all. It appears the full service I've been quoted for is for removing, cleaning, reseating and relighting the burner, sweeping the flue and doing a smoke test. Our house was tenanted for 8 years before we bought it, so if the flue is as dirty as the Aga was (absolutley caked in grime), I suspect it's advisable we get a pro in to do this this year, but learn to do the burner relighting and cleaning for next year. As you only really get household fluff in the flue, so it only needs doing about every 5 years or so. My BiL & I just re-lit it last year as it had a recent burner-only service.

We use the Aga for everything we can in the winter - cooking, heating the hot water, heating the kitchen and drying clothes. It's a lovely thing to have in the house and we make the most use out of it possible, but I doubt I would have installed one if it wasn't there.

7. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Unless you brown everything first, the results from slow cookers are anaemic and I have yet to find a slow cooker with a pot you can transfer from the hob after browning - which makes the process of making decent food in one a bit of a faff. A slow cooker crucible for a le crueset casserole would be a splendid idea - I wonder if such a thing exists? You also get very little evaporation when using a slow cooker, which means making a reduction on a conventional hob afterwards.

In winter I keep a massive stockpot in the Aga bottom oven when it's not being used for anything else (it's awesome for kleftiko) - I just brown all bones in the top oven and chuck them in with the odd bayleaf and bit of veg.

Rockmeister and Weekender like this.
  8. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Illegal hooch! Stockpot soup. I found a pub year back...the railway arms IIRC somewhere near the cotswolds who did a proper, all the leftovers into a cauldron, stockpot soup. By 'eck that was delicious, but about 10 years back they told me it'd be my last...apparently EU regulation outlawed it as a tad dodgy!?
    If I'd remembered THAT fact at voting time, it may well have swayed me...go Boris!! :)

foxwelljsly likes this.
  9. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

We have this one with a removable pot that we brown with on the hob.

[​IMG]

foxwelljsly and Weekender like this.