1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sgt Pepper 50th remix.

Discussion in 'music' started by chris@panteg, May 26, 2017.

1. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

Has anyone got any interest in this, I intend to get the vinyl version as I'm a Beatles fanatic and I make no apologies, but according to the DRC database the CD version is very limited to almost brickwalled? Rather disappointed if that's the case.

The vinyl should be better.

2. Dan43

Dan43 pfm Member

Is there also any 24bit download cards with the larger boxset?

If the CD is brickwalled thats bad, couldn't they offer two versions one brickwalled for car stereos and mobile listening and another non-brickwalled for higher spec playback in a DVD for example?

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Can someone please explan to me what was wrong with the original mono and stereo mixes? Both are nicely different and IMHO all that one needs!

PS Link to box set here.

4. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Blimey! £100 for a CD box set!

5. Dan43

Dan43 pfm Member

DR numbers as low as 6 and high as 10 reflecting what was done at the time perhaps?

Is there a need, as Tony mentions, for a sparkling new 24bit clean as a whistle version, I assume Giles main work is to reflect the time the work was done not to maybe colour the sound and enhance, but like a Directors Cut is there room for such a version?

6. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

7. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

arrived last week & matching turntable , not had a chance to play them yet but recent mono AAA will sound much better

8. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

The gimmick is, I think, that they have produced a new stereo mix from the original tapes that follows the mono mix, but with a bit more bottom end to match modern replay capability. So you get the Beatles concept but with some width.

I think it's interesting, but not £100 interesting. And I think the DR algorithm might not be telling the whole story. The single CD is £9.99 which is almost reasonable, and I expect the 96k drop from the Bluray will appear in the usual places.

Paul

9. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Michael Fremer reviewed the digital box set recently.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/giles-martin’s-“pass-salt-and-pepper”-remix-cd

A few excerpts if you're not interested in reading the full article.

Joe

10. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

I have just bought 'Lucy In Sky With Diamonds (Remix)' from iTunes and compared it with the mono release version.

The remix is AMAZING. It sounds fantastic, modern and rich. The bass and drums sound brilliant.

HIGHLY recommended.

Yes it's much louder but it's nowhere near 'brickwalled' which is simply incorrect. It's a more modern mix, so it's fuller, thicker, more bottom end, drums are bigger and more upront. I'm sure it has a bit less dynamic range but it's no bad thing imo.

I was going to buy the vinyl today but £35 I had to think twice. May go back. Would have much preferred a single album for less £ without the largely pointless 'versions and takes' on the second LP.

11. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Just listened to it on Spotify and it's rather good.

12. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

Just got in, unwrapped the LP version, but haven't had a listen yet, looking forward to it. I'm assuming that it's sounding as it would were it recorded now, with modern equipment?

13. robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus ID should now be "robert_naim"

Overall I'd say there is a much more coherent, cohesive stereo soundstage presented that was severely lacking in the original stereo mix. The stereo is the one I know best as that's the one I grew up with, but for example "Fixing a hole" has music mostly left of centre, vocal right of centre, and the drums come across very flat and one dimensional. The new stereo remix widens the drums substantially, places the vocal more centrally, and spreads the other instruments rather well.
    I guess from what I've read this is an attempt to create a better stereo mix than was done at the time in a very much throwaway manner. So this might have been what we would have had if the studio kit from now had been sent back in time.

14. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Here's an interview/ promo chat with Miles Showell who mastered the 50th-anniversary releases.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  15. Dan43

Dan43 pfm Member

Has anyone found a 24bit download that isn't part of the bigger box set, can't see it yet on the usual sites.

Spotify stream I have but no 24bit copy, just yet.

16. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Brilliant, might have to buy that vinyl after all! Don't think it mentions 1/2 speed cut on the sticker.

Revolver 1/2 speed master stereo remix next?! I think I'd be tempted by that too...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  17. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

Listening to this right now on Spotify. Not specifically related to the new release, but just how fantastic are McCartney's ecstatic harmony vocals on the choruses of 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'? He sings as if his life depended on it - and I love the way he comes in on a different number of lines each time!

18. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

Well I listened to the vinyl today, and well it sounds incredibly open and spacious to me, but the bass? It is much fuller as others have noticed but I'm not sure it sounds quite right?

The tempo and impetus to within you without you feels completely different, it certainly sounds very dynamic with much bigger overall soundstage, quite spectacular in fact, the final crashing piano chord in a day in the life was incredible.

I think I'll still listen to original mix and the mono mixes though, nice to have a choice.

19. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Just for perspective. This record became a huge hit when most were listening to it on Dansette type players.. highly inaccurate 'Radiograms', assorted juke boxes and AM radio..

Just sayin'...