1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sgt Pepper 50th remix.

Discussion in 'music' started by chris@panteg, May 26, 2017.

1. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Here's a recent interview with Geoff Emerick, one of the sound engineers who recorded the album.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  2. paul darwin

paul darwin Trade: Rega Research

I have been fortunate enough the have the 2 LP set for a week or so and can report that Giles Martin has done a great job with regards to remastering the album, it is done with great sympathy to the original and skill.

Having access to the original tapes prior to "bounce down" has allowed greater instrumental separation and subtleties especially in Ringo's drumming with has been brought more "central" on some cuts. The string tone on She's leaving home is better and the clarinet on When I'm 64 is a revelation.

Overall a great achievement and well worth the investment and that's without even mentioning the second disc of out takes etc.

Also I think it's worth mentioning that my copy is absolutely silent, perfectly flat and sounds fabulous and the attention to detail with the sleeve, inserts and red "water" inner sleeves is perfect.

PD

3. Paul,
    I totally agree with you.
    Giles has done a brilliant job on these.:cool:

4. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

+1, it's a definite improvement.

ian r likes this.
  5. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

I've listened to the Deluxe album on Spotify. The remixes of the originals sound great to me. Because the bass is so distinct it doesn't seem quite as inventive. Ringo's drumming in its clarity though is even better ...

Jack

ian r likes this.
  6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Have they stuck that 909 kick drum in it so desperately needed?

7. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Have you actually listened to it yet Tony? :)

8. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Bad news everyone...
    I downloaded the 2017 remix of 'When I'm 64' at 192khz 24bit and it's STILL rubbish... :(

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

No, given the positive comments I may actually buy the vinyl as I like Sgt P and the only copy I actually own these days is the CD in the Mono box.

I was a bit daft with The Beatles as I've always felt over-exposed to them (lived and worked in Liverpool for quite a while and its bloody everywhere all of the bloody time) so I never kept a set of vinyl even though I've bought and sold loads ver the years, and really good stuff too (lots of mono originals, even a black/gold PPM etc), I could have put together a good set for not a huge amount of cash, though I don't think I've ever had a really good original Pepper or White Album, only reissues of those. As such I landed the Mono box and a CD copy of Abbey Rd and thought that was job done, and in fairness it may be as I've played neither in years. In fact I think I've only played the mono box once; I went through it track by track when reading Revolution In The Head by Ian MacDonald, a book I'd recommend to anyone with an interest in The Beatles. They are one of those bands that were way before my time so I have no direct 'connection', and don't really interest me now the way say jazz from the same era does, but I have a lot of respect for them and do like a good bit of their output. I've just heard it so much I never feel the need to play it!

10. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Just heard the new vinyl Sgt Pepper mix, love it. More focussed, clarity and engagement. Always been a fan of the mono, now happy to add the new mix. Hope Giles has a crack at Rubber Soul and Revolver, the original mixes are awful.

ian r likes this.
  11. paul darwin

paul darwin Trade: Rega Research

tedmanzie,

Could it not just be that 192khz / 24bit is rubbish ?

PD

12. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

You're right! When I'm 64 was much better at 10khz / 4 bit as I could barely hear it :)

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun pfm Member

I find this remix very modern-sounding. Very detailed, very clear, very modern. I ask myself that – if they hadn't allegedly f*cked up the mix in 1967 – would a better contemporaneous mix have sounded like this? I doubt it.

To me, this is a mix for hi-fi buffs in their quest for ever-increasing detail and information content in their musical signals, and also one to appeal to younger new listeners who want a contemporary sound.

Personally,I find it over detailed in such a way that individual sounds stand out and throw my attention away from the music. Would I get used to it? I don't know. I do know that I hate the recent remix of The Velvet Underground's Loaded. A mix itself that completely misses the point of the music it attempts to re-animate.

[​IMG]
    Caption: Steve Wilson – 'After George M's Peppers sucksess,
    which piece of financially dead musical prog-rock history can I attempt to
    re-animate next?

14. SteveS1

Mr.d which version? The vinyl sounds fine, certainly compared to the original stereo vinyl which is brighter ime, as well as containing the rather excessive panning in parts. I can't speak for the CDs which some are saying have a bit more compression applied. I do hope Giles has a go at Rubber Soul and Revolver, the panning on those is absurd.

15. mr sneff

mr sneff pfm Member

I find the increase in detail in the bass welcome, but the treble, especially the hi-hat is very intrusive. I find that I'd rather listen to the remastered version of the original mix on Spotify than the new CD remix.

16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun pfm Member

mp3. I just wanted to get an idea. I guess the vinyl might be better.

I mean I get it. But it's like an old-master having all the years of varnish and cigarette smoke removed. You question what it was in the first place and whether the end result is what was intended 50 years in the past.

I can't help feeling it has modern equipment and techniques applied.

I'd like to compare to the original mono mix, which I'll have to get hold of.

17. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

The CD does have quite a bit of compression applied.

After a couple more plays of the vinyl, I'm now loving it, just takes getting used to I guess but the clarity, details and the lovely soundstage are a joy to behold, especially enjoyed being for the benefit of Mr kite.

18. SteveS1

The latest Mono vinyl is superb, that's going nowhere but I prefer this as a stereo version.

The early stereo versions I find too distracting, I can't believe that if they were released now the mix wouldn't be along these lines. Hard panning was like kids with a new toy stuff and until the White Album all the stereo mixes sound a bit thrown together to my ears. But then I think that about The Small Faces Immediate albums, much prefer the monos of those.

19. A question regarding the vinyl DR values ?
    When people are measuring these can you get different readings depending on what turntable arm cartridge system and other kit used for doing this ?

20. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

That might be the case if you've got a phono stage with a little too much gain perhaps?