1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sgt Pepper 50th remix.

Discussion in 'music' started by chris@panteg, May 26, 2017.

1. Would a bright or dull old or new cartridge effect anything?
    The reason i'm asking is because i've seen conflicting DR numbers.

2. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

Here is a video by Mastering engineer Ian Shepherd on why the TT DR database does not give correct results for vinyl:
    http://productionadvice.co.uk/?s=DR+vinyl

3. Thanks,
    I thought as much.:cool:

4. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Bought the 2CD Anni set this morning - half way through the album (not really interested n the 2nd CD) and really enjoying it.

ian r likes this.
  5. I really like the 2nd CD and the LP2.

ian r likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Fancy the CD (the single one; not interested in out-takes) but concerned about compression noted by some here. Really don't know why they bugger CDs up this way if all else in mastering etc. is exemplary.

Is the compression bad?

7. Mike,
    No need to be concerned, Its not been buggered up.
    Just buy it and enjoy the music.
    I will say for the extra 3 squid the deluxe double CD is really worth having.:cool:
    I love hearing John talking in the studio.

ian r likes this.
  8. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Not quite as simple as Ian suggests, as this (and other) critiques of his approach demonstrates. The TT metre is still a useful guide and nobody has suggested it's more than that. Commercial albums (including some Ian himself suggests) are genuinely more dynamic than their CD equivalents and the figures and waveforms reflect that.

The Daft Punk and Adele albums are very good examples of where the CD has been mullered compared.

http://www.metal-fi.com/can-measure-vinyl-dynamics/

9. Steve,
    Do you remember the conversation we had about this [​IMG] excellent album when it was released back in 2013 ?
    It hit all the wrong numbers on the DR graphs but still sounded brilliant on CD and vinyl.

10. SteveS1

Don't remember the conversation, but good album I only have the CD sounds decent if not quite as good as the Dolby remaster of Steve McQueen. No idea about the vinyl. DR is one thing and it could use a bit more, but crazy limiting or eccentric EQ is more of a menace.

11. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Compression / DR gets mentioned here, but the sound is good to my ears. Mike Showells said they employed 'gentle peak limiting' on the cd, that is likely to be a few dB max I reckon and with ultra transparent digital limiter. The reason the songs sound louder is in the mixing, they are definitely more drum and bass heavy than the originals but I wouldn't describe this album as suffering from over compression. Compression seems to be a dirty word on hifi forums, but it is essential in mixing, everything is compressed to some degree, it's a question of taste as to how much the whole picture is squeezed. Beatles are rock n roll, they SHOULD be compressed! (up to a point!) :)

12. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

Way back when I took a careful rip from the Daft Punk vinyl and equalised it to match the digital. This reduced the DR number of the vinyl to near the digital without applying any actual compression.

So I think care is required.

Paul

13. compression and compression.
    When CD first hit the market it was limited to how many tracks could be fitted on one CD.
    Albums were being released for a few years missing tracks.
    That was a contract thing buy the two guys that invented and wanted to make some money.
    I was in a market in Holland in 1988 and bought a CD with every Beatles album on it thanks to compression.
    You couldn't buy XTC's English Settlement back then on CD with all the tracks that were on the LPs.

14. SteveS1

I agree Paul, Mullered was a bad choice of words - the combination of a bit more dynamic compression, plus the level shift needed because it was louder, made the vinyl sound quite a bit better. I'm sure if you took the trouble to do as you have, that effect would be more subtle. As Ian on his blog confirms, it was mastered for vinyl differently. I think that difference, plus whatever people want to describe as the 'effects' of the vinyl replay set up made for a much nicer listen even though this was a rip v rip.

15. SteveS1

Yes but there is compression of files and dynamic compression, the latter doesn't have a bearing on file storage size. Presumably, the carrier was a bigger issue originally.

16. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

Wonder if Howard Goodall can shed any light on matters on Saturday, BBC2, 9pm? Apparently he had access to the original master tapes, as well as unused takes.
    I'm enjoying the first LP, but haven't got round to listening to LP2.

17. LP 2 is bloody wonderful.
    Its musical history thats not been heard like this before.:cool:

ian r likes this.
  18. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo I prefer spots.

I'm just enjoying my vinyl copy now and I think it's superb. The changes made do tend to draw your attention away from the music a little, but I presume this is simply adjusting to the new presentation/mix. Repeated plays will address this.
    Thank goodness the panning has gone, and like others who have already commented, let's hope Revolver gets similar treatment next.
    Pete

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I like the hard panning, it is part of the '60s sound aesthetic!

ian r likes this.
  20. SteveS1

Good, nobody is taking yours away. But let the rest of us enjoy a better mix. ;)

Revolver and Rubber Soul would be a revelation if done properly.