1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sgt Pepper 50th remix.

Discussion in 'music' started by chris@panteg, May 26, 2017.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Not possible, not enough tracks on the master tape. IIRC Sgt Pepper was the first to even use a 4 track master, so the previous ones will just be the two track master with nothing beyond that to go back to, i.e. everything has already been bounced down and you can't unmix that.

2. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Are the tracks different to the ones on the Anthology 2 set?

3. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

It's bloody annoying.

When Paul McCartney started reissuing his back catalogue in 'high resolution' there were two versions of the download, the lightly limited and the unlimited. Seemed a sensible approach, but it didn't catch on.

Paul

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I heard a remaster of Band On The Run that was bloody terrible, just nasty compression and EQ. The Anniversary Edition IIRC. Sounded nothing like the vinyl or original CD. As bad as the recent Yes, Genesis remasters etc.

5. All different and never been released before.

6. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

TBH, the original was not exactly a shining example of high fidelity recording. The backing tracks recorded in Lagos were pretty duff.

7. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Sgt Pepper remix was done by going back to the pre-bounced tapes apparently. I would have thought the original tracking tapes also exist for Revolver & Rubber Soul. Also they have developed this fancy tech where they can demix separate instruments - they used it on the Hard Days Night film, and I read also on some of the Sgt P tracks, eg to make the kick drum louder when the whole of the kit was recorded on a single track.

8. They were fun days and nights in Lagos.
    I blamed the Victor in the mic's.

9. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

What's the consensus? Is the LP release better than the CD or the other way around?

Joe

10. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

I believe that everything after "With The Beatles" was done on 4-track, until they finally got 8 tracks halfway through the production of The White Album.

11. John

John TDS free

I buy all these bloody Beatles reissues and hardly listen to them. :rolleyes:

Now where's my Red and Blue album, I should have stopped there.

12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun pfm Member

I like the panning of the originals. I like it when a voice isn't centre, for example. Don't have an issue with that.

Judging by the mono box version, not sure how close the new stereo is in feel to the original mono, though. After reading that they tried to make it match the mix of the mono more than the original. Sounds very different to me.

Also the new mix feels almost distracting in it's degree of stereo separation. But I have been listening on headphones. Must try it on hifi.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

That makes it more feasible, but even so I bet there is a heck of a lot of bouncing as a lot of it is quite densely arranged. I need to read up on it at some point. IIRC at some point they found a way to sync two or more tape machines, which may explain being able to remix Sgt Pepper. That is an amazingly dense and layered recording if it really is just a four track, to the point I can't understand how they even did it!

14. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

I can't pin down a reference at the moment, but I believe that Sgt Pepper was two synced 4 track machines. True 8 track machines and tape were still in development.

As a matter of interest, the first true 8 track recording Columbia ever made was Terry Riley's Rainbow in Curved Air (according to the CD booklet notes they had just taken delivery and Riley wanted to use it whilst the technician's were still trying to get to grips with it). Apologies for taking the thread off track........

ian r likes this.
  15. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Wikipedia gives us some information:

Sgt. Pepper was recorded using four-track equipment. Although eight-track tape recorders were available in the US, the first units were not operational in commercial studios in London until late 1967.[67][nb 10] As with previous Beatles albums, the Sgt. Pepper recordings made extensive use of the technique known as reduction mixing, in which one to four tracks from one recorder are mixed and dubbed down onto a master four-track machine, enabling the Abbey Road engineers to give the group a virtual multitrack studio.[69] EMI's Studer J37 four-track machines were well suited to reduction mixing, as the high quality of the recordings that they produced minimised the increased noise associated with the process.[70] Preferring to overdub his bass part last, McCartney tended to play other instruments when recording a song's backing track. This approach afforded him the extra time required to write and record melodic basslines that complemented the song's final arrangement.[71] When recording the orchestra for "A Day in the Life", Martin synchronised a four-track recorder playing the Beatles' backing track to another one taping the orchestral overdub. The engineer Ken Townsend devised a method for accomplishing this by using a 50 Hz control signal between the two machines.[72]

I remember reading for the 40th anniversary, some artists recorded the tracks. Oasis did Within You Without You and insisted on using the original equipment. They couldn't believe how hard it was and how Sgt. Pepper sounded so good.

16. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

I think the unlimited master of BOTR sounds good, as does first pressing vinyl. Back in the needle-drop days we had a bit of a comparison thread. It's a real shame that sort of interactive sound nerdery is no longer possible.

Paul

17. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

The remastered 180 gram. vinyl ( record , as far as I am concerned) Stereo Sgt. Pepper arrived today.
    It is really good.
    No surface noise and that bass end !
    Magic.
    You can keep your Downloads, etc.
    It is Sgt. Pepper as I have never heard it before.

Martyn.

18. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

I've just listened on Tidal so far but am inclined to buy the 2 CD version based on what I hear.
    Headphone listening does not show up the difference quite as much as speaker listening does.
    It's a job well done and don't worry about those DR figures, this doesn't sound brickwalled in any way at all.

Revolver indeed would be great to hear given the same treatment.

.sjb

ian r likes this.
  19. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

They did multiple reduction mixes in 1967. But I guess they saved all the tape.

Giles Martin & co. were able to go back to the original un-bounced sources, so the rhythm tracks will benefit from the elimination of maybe three levels of generation loss.

I don't think they had to sync multiple 4-track machines, I imagine it was all digitized before mixing. Which would mean the LP is not AAA.

ian r likes this.
  20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I wasn't suggesting it would be an analogue mix, it will all have been done in ProTools or similar and likely geen de-noised, de-clicked etc (which annoys me to be honest). I was just trying to figure out how the actual tracking to go back to existed, and the multiple 4 tracks kind of explains it if all tapes for the session were retained. Hopefully there will be an article on it in SoS or similar giving detail of what survived from 67 and the decisions taken to produce the new mix.