1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sgt Pepper 50th remix.

Discussion in 'music' started by chris@panteg, May 26, 2017.

1. I will never understand why people would rather spend hours talking about a album they haven't heard instead of just buying a copy and just listening to it?

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

A new documentary on BBC 2 tomorrow (link).

3. backwell

backwell pfm Member

I have to agree Barry, but people do spend lots of time talking. I bought the vinyl version and I have been very impressed with the results, the team who worked on this project have done a first class job. After listening I decided to dig out all my other versions of Pepper, I found another nine ! A 60s mono, a 70s UK stereo, a German Apple stereo, the vinyl box set mono, the mono and stereo CDs from the box sets, a very early cassette , and two '87 cassettes, one U.K., the other a US Capitol release. I discovered that my vinyl box set mono version has the Help! album labels, has anyone else encountered the same? If I had to keep just one I would choose the mono box set vinyl just ahead of the original 60s mono, just because it's not so worn. How about the rest of you, which copy would you keep?

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

When it is an album like this where if it interests you you inevitably already have a copy it makes sense to do some research before buying again. Certainly opinion over on Steve Hoffman's seems is fairly split. Some love it, others describing the CD as brick-walled, hard and lacking any dynamic finesse. The vinyl seems better received but not without some caveats.

5. Tony,
    The Hoffman forum is full of muppets that wouldn't know a good album SQ if some bugger hit them in the face with it.
    Loads using rubbish TTs and systems that still put fingers all over records when making there Youtube films.:rolleyes:
    In my own ears i trust.

6. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

It's no 1 in the album chart, incredible with 37,000 sales and 5,200 on vinyl.

7. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

BBC R3 Jazz Line-Up are doing a Sgt Pepper Reimagined edition today at 17.00.

8. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

I read some daft comments over there...

9. Dan43

Dan43 pfm Member

Has anyone looked at the 24bit version? Is it available outside the download card in the box set?

10. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I don't really have a proper copy so am tempted with the Vinyl, even more so because I heard Giles Martin on R6 the other week and liked the two naked tracks they played.

11. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Not really sure that a J37 warrants a 24 bit transfer - or any other tape machine of the period.

12. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Just watched it. Excellent IMHO.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Agreed, some really good analysis there, a lot of things I'd not have picked up on.

14. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Is that the one I heard being advertised on R6 the other day, with quite a detailed look at how it was recorded with Howard Goodall?

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, that's the one. It focuses as much on the musical construction as recording. Very interesting stuff.

16. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Cool, will try and catch it.

17. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

That one's running on PBS in America tonight too. I missed the first broadcast but they're repeating it at midnight.

I bought the 2-disc package, but haven't played it yet.

18. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I had a dream last night that the new 50th editions had sold out and my only hope of getting one was if they reissued them. I haven't bought any 50th as yet, so maybe I should...

19. Dave Cattlin

Dave Cattlin pfm Member