1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sgt Pepper 50th remix.

Discussion in 'music' started by chris@panteg, May 26, 2017.

1. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I just watched the Howard Goodall documentary and although I knew it's a great album, I have a much better idea why.

2. I want to find out the name of the shop in Sevenoaks where John bought that poster?
    There were only a few selling antiques and Bric a brac back then.
    My parents used to drag my sister and me round all of them regularly.

3. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

1st listen and I'm up to Getting Better and all I can hear is Macca's bass. Is this intentional?

4. Dan43

Dan43 pfm Member

No probably not, I would still need to rip the CD at 44.1 so why not find a 24bit version if it exists, a little more DR and resolution perhaps and 44.1/24 would be enough.
    Certainly would give more 'air' to the instruments/playback I would imagine.

5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

From the Sevenoaks Chronicle 28/8/14...

When the Beatles came to Sevenoaks in 1967 to make the world's first music video in Knole Park they took the opportunity to explore the town, visiting a few shops and enjoying afternoon tea in a High Street restaurant.

As the filming continued the following day they stayed the night at the Royal Oak Hotel.

Jezza Wood, a local musician, told me this week that the Gavin Gregg restaurant in Upper High Street is being converted into a new music venue. "I have been told", he writes, "that John, Paul, George and Ringo stopped for tea and cakes and then visited the antiques shop a few yards away where John famously purchased the 'Mr Kite' poster. I hope you can confirm this."

I know they stopped for afternoon tea; I believe it was Gregg's restaurant, and I certainly know that the inspiration to write the song, 'For the benefit of Mr Kite', was a 19th-century circus poster purchased by Lennon in Andrew Mair's antique shop on the evening of January 31 1967. …

6. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Watched the Howard Goodall doc. yesterday on iPlayer. Excellent; especially as a non-musician.

7. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Watched it last night and also thought it was superb. Liked the idea that it was inspired far more by childhood events than hallucinogenic substances, even Lucy in the Sky.

If only the album had included Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane and dumped a couple of songs (Sixty Four and Good Morning?) then there would be no debate about the greatest album ever.

8. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Yeah and I'd thought for years Lennon was simply being coy when he said Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds had nothing to do with LSD - must have been my own, teenage experimentation with LSD that made me think that lol.

9. Ptah

Ptah pfm Member

Noooo....those are great songs too - and both sound fantastic on the mono vinyl!

The one missing I don't understand is Only A Northern Song from the box reissues. They may not have cared for it, but it was certainly part of the Pepper sessions and should have been included for completeness. Apple do seem to want to rewrite history in a particular way...

The Beach Boys' archivists on Smile, Pet Sounds etc just tried to include everything.

10. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

That BBC programme is excellent! :)

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun pfm Member

'Only A Northern Song'. Fantastic track.

12. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I wonder how much I could get for my mint stereo copy ? ( Oh, and complete with Pepper inserts )
    Now nearly everyone is buying the remastered, brand new, 'costs loads of cash' one I'll put mine carefully away.
    Then, like old LS3/5as, I can name my price...

13. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

Interesting exercise to figure out a sequence for virtual Pepper. But I think you need to retain 'Good Morning'.

If you don't have it then https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Revolution-Head-Beatles-Records-Sixties-Ian-MacDonald/0099526794 remains essential.

Paul

14. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

focused

15. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I did, until I bought the brand new Sgt. Pepper.

The Red & Blue are still my favourite Beatles albums, although I will admit to having a 'Hard Day's Night' on vinyl.

16. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

...having 'A Hard Day's Night' on vinyl.

17. ColinC

ColinC Member

Could not agree more about SF and PL. I'd dump Good Morning and Rita.

18. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

You were just waiting for that opportunity! :D:D

19. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

No way <grin>.

20. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

+1 for Rita!