1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Shahinian Arc - New power Amp ?

Discussion in 'audio' started by linntroika, Feb 14, 2013.

1. PSD

PSD Member

I use a pair of Croft 7r Monoblocks with my Obelisks so they should work well with Arcs too.

I came about using the Crofts after talking to Peter Mezek at Pear Audio in Slovenia
    about all things Bedini. (Hopefully I'll get to pop out and see him in the spring)

Anyway the Crofts are doing things to the obelisks that i havent heard before so I'm a happy camper but one day I'd like to get my hands on a Bedini and see what it sounds like.
    Paul

2. kevinrt

kevinrt pfm Member

DV

did you ever try the Meridian 557 with Obelisks? They seem to come up for sale more frequently at more affordable prices.

regards

Kevin

3. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

I tried 557 into Obelisks, a good combination but bettered by the 559 (especially bridged). The 557 is very good with Arcs

4. mbu

mbu pfm Member

Add a Dynavector HX1.2 to the list. I use a MK1 version with Naim cds3 and 52. Outstanding combination ( so it should be at the cost - all second hand). All into WB Arcs though. I sold my Shahinian Arcs ( before I had HX1.2) years ago as I liked the WB Arcs presentation more. Fancy trying a pair of Obelisk 2s mind you but the cost is pretty eye watering.
    Nothing has managed to oust the 1.2 from my main system for the last decade.

5. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Maybe the OP wants a new amp for his Arcs and isn't too worried about Obelisks.

6. linntroika

linntroika pfm Member

Must admit i would be tempted by dynavector hx1.2 (mbu has a similar system to mine)- looking for a power amp to gel with the 52
    Im not saying that the 250 is lacking - just would like to know what the dynavector would bring to my current setup

The difficulty will be finding one - as they tend to only come up occassionally:(

7. oceanobsession

oceanobsession pfm Member

What about a pair of manley snappers theres a pair on german ebay, or a belles
    power amp, i did have a belles hotrod 150a for a while with arcs sounded great
    with plenty of power.

8. es.klopfte

es.klopfte pfm Member

Everyone keeps mentioning Dynavectors in the context of Shahinian speakers, but they just didn't do it for me - either with Arc or Obs. My L300/HX1.2 sounded so shrill I even sent them to John Burns to be checked out.

I'm currently driving my Obelisks with a solid-state McIntosh integrated, and it gives me everything that was missing with the DVs - warmth, grunt and grip.

I recall that I also quite enjoyed using a NAD S300 with Arcs a few years ago.

9. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Interestingly Shahinian have recently updated their advice regarding suitable amps (etc):

source

Istr previously the best little speaker company in the world opined Dynavector, Bedini & Creek to be worth investigation.
    Fwiw I find Naim a good match.

10. linntroika

linntroika pfm Member

Update

Im sending my 250 to have ncc200 boards fitted (dont know what to expect with this - but reviews are positive)

Listened to my sys last night and i still love what Naim does

Many Thanx for the replies

11. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

LT!! What are you doing?

Just buy the DIY ones from the classifieds first - if you like that then get the NCC200s fitted. Once your NAP has been modded it won't be a cost neutral option to go back... will it?

12. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Or just sell the NAP250 and get a pair of M130s. Don't kill a perfectly decent NAP250 - Sell it! and if you must have matching cases then use a 180.

13. markf

markf pfm Member

14. trio leo

trio leo pfm Member

I'm quite sure a pair of Albarry M608's will drive your speakers perfectly and will do so for years (as you mentioned mono-blocs)

regards Al

15. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

16. linntroika

linntroika pfm Member

Update
    After a bit of auditioning /chopping / changing - i finally got to hear the Hx1.2
    So how does it compare with my 250 ?- It does sound a lot different and i had concerns because i do like Naims PRAT .

Initial impressions are the HX has real presence , it takes complete control of the Arcs and has an uncanny 3D effect. It delivers a dynamic ,rich sound (not clinical ) but retains the naims "warmth" with the Bass reaching greater depths. I can drive the Arcs to new levels of loudness whilst retaining the texture and timing

Wonderful Power Amplification and yes it does Gel very well with a 52:D

Now i finally see why so many Shahinian users opt for DV - Match made in Heaven

Thanks for all your inputs (especially fellow Pfm Lambros,Lotus340r,mbu, d m butcher - and Centralaudio for selling me it )

A few years ago i would have not heard half the hifi manufactures mentioned , auditioned and debated on this forum

Cheers guys

17. winsu

winsu Member

So what are your thoughts about the Dynavectors PRAT compared to Naim?

18. Rana

Rana pfm Member

I've managed to land some mint 2002 Arcs and am rueing selling the Bedini now!