1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I 'up sticks' and head for the land of smiles?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by zygote23, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Note past tense. I am also tertiary trained and taught (briefly) to degree-level - also past tense.

Cheers,

DV

2. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

ha -- i always thought austria was the land of smiles.

[​IMG]

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Some nice tunes from that. Vilja is one (my father's favourite) but I might be getting mixed up here. (Must check my LPs)

4. zippy

zippy pfm Member

Trouble is these days you may not come back, you hear so many stories of people being arrested and jailed for no apparent reason.
    I'm not saying Thailand is unsafe though I believe parts of it are a bit dodgy.
    Is that just me being a wimp ?

5. Roger Adams

Roger Adams Well-Known Member

Are not parts of the UK unsafe? Particularly if you look foreign.

6. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I think the point really comes down to this. Not everyone wakes up feeling adventurous each morning, but those that don't, have the most to gain from trying to be adventurous. At the very least, you'll return a more rounded and braver person, which is good. OFC it'll be hard, but good stuff always is.
    It's all therefore about being brave enough to make the first step. hence my previous comment. Don't think too much, just

DO IT ! :)

7. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Pattaya is quite a good place to study the human race though !
    Thailand is safe.
    Unless you wear a gold rolex at 2am in the wrong place. Or pick a fight with a local (and his mates join in).
    I'm willing to bet zygote isn't going to do either of those.
    Choking on a chilli is very possible though.

cjarchez likes this.
  8. Heckyman

Heckyman pfm Member

Good luck, mate.
    Plan for a 2 year stay, you'll either come back enriched or you'll find a new and better home. Win-win.

9. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

I apologise if I’ve caused offence, it was unintentional. My purpose was to respond to a post that appeared to accuse you of being unsuited to teaching for what I took to be a piece of flippant misanthropy. But as you agree with the post, I extend my apology the poster as well as yourself.

I wish you all the best for whichever path you choose and the other teachers in your school struggling against what sounds like appalling working conditions.

zygote23 and doctorf like this.
  10. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

no it isnt you. PFM seems to have a grown a small group bullies, boasters and snide comment makers. It is a small group, and those in receipt of those comments can probably predict with uncanny accuracy who will make such comments.

to the OP - I say go for it.

PhilofCas likes this.
  11. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

I have been working 22 years in Malaysia and am settled there. So long as you can adjust to the lifestyle and don't hit the bottle and insult the king, you will enjoy Pattaya

12. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

You in no way insulted nor belittled me and for sure picked up on my momentary misanthropic missive (see I do alliteration too). If I was unsuited to teaching I wouldn't have lasted the 23 years where I am with outstanding results lol.....I tend not to take great offence at anything said on here.

13. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Thank you for that, I didn’t like thinking I’d gotten something wrong there. FWIW I was a caseworker for one of the larger teaching unions until recently, and have had to defend teachers far too often against some fairly silly things said against them

Anyway, another option for you to consider might be to take your pension early which at 55 you’d qualify for. Your pension would be reduced obviously, but you might find it covers the basics and you could take on some part time work, gardening for example, for beer money? Many have done it.

14. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

The drug taking murderer?

15. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

I realise I can take my pension but after 23 years its pretty much pants lol. I'm going to take a couple of years career break I think and see where I end up. I have a few low risk investments etc that should see me ok when I get back plus I live in a 4 bed bungalow which is far too big for me should I decide I need to downsize.

ks.234 likes this.
  16. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

LMAO at the unsafe stuff. I've been kidnapped in Bangkok a few years back by an illegal taxi driver....locked us (myself, my mother and her three loonie mates) in his cab and drove us about for 40 mins till I eventually threatened him with an early demise.
    I've been threatened by burly over juiced Western brutes in Cambodia because I made a comment about the possible illegality of the boy (young man) they were manhandling in public.

I tend to keep out of trouble though.

This possible working abroad gets more interesting by the day. I have now been approached to take an interview to work in Seoul! I've never been to Korea....sounds interesting.

17. wacko

wacko pfm Member

The only person I know who worked in Seoul hated it, which rather surprised me.
    But I remember he said the traffic was so bad you can't get out of the city even on weekends. Given your preference for 'mountains, lakes and jungle' that could be an issue. That was some 20 years ago so maybe they have built some more roads since...

18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Tense stuff.:)

19. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

This is an example of what not to say in Thailand

20. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Having watched schools turn into nightmare places for older (read more expensive) staff, and had the sharks turn on me, I escaped into a different career but still school based. If I was in the op’s position I’d be off like a shot, but, I’d also be doing due diligence about where I was heading too. I’d fancy Eastern Europe or Malaysia and Thailand. I’d be wanting to know what they were teaching, to what examinations/boards and what the accountability programmes were. I’d also be pondering why they weren’t recruiting via the TES, and checking they weren’t an employer who had difficulties recruiting that way. Check the terms you’re being offered are favourable (how many flights home per year etc). Also be wary about planning to return to the British State System on your return. You’re at the end of the age scale where finding new employment can be challenging, although as a Scientist you have significantly less competition. Physics was the area we always found it particularly hard to appoint in.