1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Shower mixer recommendations please

Discussion in 'off topic' started by AV8, Mar 14, 2019.

1. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Calling all you plumbers & heating engineers.

Ditching our electric shower & going with a shower mixer setup from the new boiler being installed, so any recommendations or is it the usual crowd of Mira, Triton ( 5 yrs warranty ) ?

GROHE any good ?

Ta

2. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Mine came from Aldi/Lidl really cheap ie under £30 and works fine.

Pete

twotone likes this.
  3. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Bought recently Pete ?

4. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

Not a heating or plumbing engineer but... we had a plumber fit two Aqualisa units in our place - one for a shower over the bath, the other in a shower cubicle. Both are thermostatic running from a combi boiler. Both have been great.

AV8 likes this.
  5. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

I have seen Aqualisa as well, thanks.

6. Bob F

Bob F Well-Known Member

Mira , well made and spares available long term. Had a Grohe and was disappointed when spares not available after about 6 or 7 years.

Bob F

twotone, MikeMA and kevinrt like this.
  7. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I'm not a heating engineer or plumber, but I installed a Mira Excel thermostatic shower mixer in our bathroom shower about twenty years ago and it has worked faultlessly ever since. Not cheap but well made and, like most things in life, you get what you pay for. The only bits I've had to replace are the hose and handset, and they don't really count do they? Spare parts are readily available direct from Mira should you need them.

AV8 and twotone like this.
  8. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

9. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Depends which type of mixer that you want to install.

Personally I have three bar mixers (one outside for the dog) all running off a 35kw vokera combi however they can’t all be run at the same time so bear that in mind.

From a plumber’s point of view bar mixers are fantastic, they work exceptionally well but more importantly they are dirt cheap (less than £30) and can be replaced like for like within, literally, minutes.

However if you want something like Mike’s shower above, the MIRA Excel, then MIRA all the way.

The mixers at the Excel end of the market are all very good but personally if I were going down that road then it would be MIRA, there’s a reason why plumbers recommend them and there’s a reason why they are installed in hotels and public buildings.

They’re not cheap but as Mike also said you get what you’re paying for with MIRA.

Tony

AV8 likes this.
  10. twotone

twotone pfm Member

I bought a bar mixer from Lidl for £14 back in 2006 and it lasted ten years.

AV8 likes this.
  11. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

A good few years ago, they have them on offer every now and then.

Pete

AV8 likes this.
  12. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

As we sometimes open our house to 'paid guests' we definitely wanted thermostatic units and they had to be reliable, no drips etc. The Aqualisa's have been ideal for us - not the cheapest but good value I reckon.

AV8 likes this.
  13. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Good showeers Aqualisa but personally I do t like repairing them.

A cartridge replacement on a MIRA mixer is pretty straight forward and easily done and doesn’t leak not so with Aqualisa in my experience so I normally recommend that customers go direct to Aqualisa for a repair.

With Triton mixers I would just change the entire valve rather than the cartridge as it’s just as cheap to buy a new mixer rather than a replacement cartridge.

From memory a replacement MIRA Excel cartridge is about £150 and the entire shower about £350.

A similar Triton shower mixer is about £180 and cartridge about £140. Aqualisa prices are probably a good bit more expensive than the MIRA ones.

AV8 and ian123running like this.
  14. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Thanks for the input guys, food for thought.

We are looking at thermostatic mixers but crucially the operating handles might be the stumbling block for a choice. Tried some square handled ones this morning, doesn't feel right, round ones are variable in grip, might need something with an integral lever.

15. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Triton does a two lever thermostatic mixer costs about £180 and is perfectly acceptable, very few two lever operated thermostatic mixers available unless you go for the Victorian types.

16. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

I was looking at these type of operating handles with levers, purely for the ease to turn them as a few this morning were not all that ergonomic & quite stiff.

[​IMG]

17. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

I find those handles come loose and the bristan are not stiff at all

AV8 likes this.
  18. Bob F

Bob F Well-Known Member

Further to my earlier comment. I was in the plumbing merchant trade for 30+ years. The Mira range is very comprehensive, if you look at the web site there are numerous models in lots of styles and designed to serve all needs. Ours is called Element, two versions, look for the one called SVT , conventional shape valve , lever operated with flow and temperature control. Not as expensive as the Excel. Ours has been in for 11 years and is faultless. We also have a Mira Vision which is a remote controlled mixer, also very good but higher cost, it makes for a minimalist installation.

Bob F
    Retired

twotone and AV8 like this.
  19. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Our bar mixer has gone a bit flakey- too hot /too cold over a mm of thermostat rotation. Thread just reminded me to finally do something about it. Straight replacement looks quite simple?

twotone likes this.
  20. Euan

Euan pfm Member

I've had various Hansgrohe mixers installed over the years. Love them.

Got this one in the bathroom.

LINK

and this one in the shower room.

LINK

AV8 likes this.