1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sir Philip Green

Discussion in 'off topic' started by HarryB, Oct 25, 2018.

1. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Brexit vote showed the worst aspects of the quasi religious zeal some amateur politicians embrace.

We're not far away from suggestions of a lynch mob for that 51.9 (?) %

2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Some real politicians advocated treason charges for post referendum opponents to Brexit...

3. Simon Vess

Simon Vess pfm Member

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7602029/labour-uses-ndas-jeremy-corbyn-ban/amp/

The word hypocrisy is one that springs to mind

Simon

doctorf likes this.
  4. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

5. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The other one they use when caught red handed is -”look, I made a terrible mistake and deeply regret it”- aka “I made a terrible mistake getting caught”.

Phil- “he was the future Tory efficiency tsar once”.

6. TheDecameron

Also people wos lookin at him funny -

Can’t be right, can it?

7. TheDecameron

I agree but I wouldn’t say the majority of 51.9% constitute a lynch mob. It’s just an extremist fringe. The two Brexit voters I know are reasonable people.

8. Simon Vess

Simon Vess pfm Member

I am in favour of the removal of hypocrisy wherever it exists

Simon

9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

He’s starring in Dr Who tonight!

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

They were prepared to set a dumb referendum with no safety margin (should have been >65% for something so potentially destructive), and with no regulation or requirement for truth in campaigning. I’d love to see liars like Farage, Rees-Mogg, Johnson etc sued until they have nothing left and then flung into jail for misselling.

11. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

12. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Great. In that case, lets start with the big stuff and prioritise the tory party, beginning with, seeing as it's begun so well, tory party doners.

13. doctorf

doctorf left footed right winger

Is that similar to a Milliband bacon sandwich?

14. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

More gammony I'd say...

15. Simon Vess

Simon Vess pfm Member

Go ahead.......

Why do I suspect that this is a case of an attempt to set a competition in bad behaviour....ie it’s OK for JC to be completely idiotic because the Tories do other bad things?

I hold my breath and hope to be surprised....

Simon

16. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Do you have any substantive quotes from the original article in The Times?

The Sun article is artfully vague (When were these NDAs agreed? By whom? Did JC know?) and seems to elide general concerns about staffers working in Parliament with specific allegations (innuendo, really) about hypocrisy. In other words it reads like a classic smear from the far-right press.

I'm open to persuasion but I'd like to see more of the crunchy details before getting all hot under the collar about "hypocrisy".

billo likes this.
  17. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

No, just that the scumsheet Sun completely ignored the worse problem which is of course with tories, and their backers. No competition possible because the predominantly pro tory press will never cover it without bias.

If you hold your breath, you lose consciousness, and start breathing again, an evolved self limiting mechanism. I'm sure you're aware of this.
    A friends child used to do it in tantrum mode - perhaps where you learned to employ it?
    If you're confident you can manage a different outcome, and surprise yourself, go for it, I think we'd all be entertained.

droodzilla likes this.
  18. Simon Vess

Simon Vess pfm Member

Well done!

I was perhaps being over optimistic in anticipating something a little more thoughtful and measured.

As expected , nothing of any substance here, plenty of wild intemperance and invective.

Clearly a lot of pent up anger here...

Great!

Simon

19. Simon Vess

Simon Vess pfm Member

So.....fake news eh?

NDA’ s are frequently used by the two great successful nationalised organisation we have in this country, obviously beacons of good practice when it comes to demonstrating how to run an organisation, namely the NHS and Education

I personally know of at least 10 cases of these.....paid for by the good old taxpayer !

I believe the point here is not that NDA’s are necessarily a bad thing.......like any other contract between two parties, the real issue is when coersion is part of the package......which would apply to any legally binding contract

Unless of course if the matter not being disclosed is illegal......then both parties to such an NDA would likely be guilty of the criminal offence of perverting the course of justice...under existing law

To call for a blanket ban on NDA’ s is a classic example of thoughtless , knee-jerk, populist politics

With JC this is pretty much to be expected as normal for him

Simon

20. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

No, the point I was making is comparison - your "competition" - is completely meaningless when 80% + of the press, including the paper your quote was from, just uncritically parrots the tory line. You didn't engage with this, so as you rightly self proclaimed "nothing of any substance here". And if this is you writing with invective and wild intemperance, I'm in awe of the riveting read you must pen when you're straight.

If you think calling the Sun a scumsheet indicates anger, no, I'm just stating the actualite.
    Go and try buying a copy in Liverpool - when my view is one held by an entire northern city, it shouldn't it be taken seriously?

Re my last post and breath holding. Did I get hold of the wrong end of the stick? Was this what you meant?