1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

SJS resuscitated

Discussion in 'trade discussion' started by sjs, Jul 13, 2015.

1. sjs

sjs Trade: SJS Electroacoustics

three more of these Model 9 SUTs currently being built, pictures soon

2. sjs

Newly completed and ready for delivery, three SJS Model 9 SUTs
    • Hashimoto HM-7 transformers
    • pure silver wire with ptfe insulation
    • Dual primaries can be switched for high/low impedance carts
    • Ground connection on the primary can be isolated for floating the MC coils
    • MuMetal lined aluminium casework
    • WBT NexGen sockets and WBT silver loaded solder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sjs

getting my first listen to Audio Note Non-Magnetic Silver Tantalum resistors and Dueland Hybrid copper/silver capacitors in one of the copper cased SJS Arcadia Model 2 preamps back in for some tlc

[​IMG]

too early to make any detailed appraisal, as there are number of other changes:
    • new first HT cap and shunt resistor
    • new silver tantalum film resistors
    • new Dueland silver/copper hybrid capacitors
    • new phono sockets
    • new valves
    I find the Dueland caps take at least a couple of days before they really settle down into what they do, but early signs of the whole shebang are really rather nice :eek:

4. sjs

An original Voyd turntable from about 1986 back in for repair. the psu had dead and needed all the voltage regs, darlingtons and fets replacing before it was up and running properly, then I replaced all the electrolytic caps to help it last the next 30 years

[​IMG]

next up is this second Voyd turntable, which is one of the later units with the smaller sized Split Phase PSU, however this has 2 motors which have seized up. A full strip down and thorough clean up should see then right

[​IMG]

5. JenniferT

JenniferT New Member

Great news....... You can help me carry in my speakers on setup day.

6. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

A friend of mine brought the Arcadia phono and matching line pre amps, round one evening many years ago, they were superb.

Didn't know you serviced Voyd turntables, another friend has one in need of some TLC .

7. sjs

Chris

I have been a long time Voyd owner, from Valdi in the early 90s through to a Reference now. I have got a few Voyd TTs back up and running over the years. The most common problem is a stuck motor, they generally need a strip down and clean up and all is good again, but the early model above also had a completely fried psu, which was a bit more challenging ;)

All the best
    Simon

8. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

Hi Simon
    I used to have a voyd .5 reference ,but sold it regrettably , it was a fabulous deck .

My friend has an earlier voyd with a psu like the top one, it's stopped playing at 45 rpm.

9. sjs

The original Model 1 and 2 preamps, and the newer Model 7 preamp were all designed to work with valve power amps with a 100 kOhm input impedance.

They can be used successfully down to 50 kOhm, but I wouldn't recommend them for amps with a 20 kOhm or 10 kOhm input, which is now typical among a lot of solid state power amps.

This recently led to a challenge being presented when I was asked to develop a line stage preamp which could be used with a 10 kOhm input solid state power amp. Having thought about this I came up with two prototype amps rusttled up from parts left over form other amps, including a pair of rejected top panels from the Oyide headphone amps.

The first one uses a triode strapped 8608 pentode, to give a low plate impedance high gm triode, using custom made double C-core output transformers with a centre tapped secondary to provide a balanced or single ended output.

[​IMG]

The second amp uses a 6EW7 double triode. The two triodes are dissimilar, and this uses the 2nd triode which has a mu of about 8 and plate impedance of less than 800 ohms. It is used with a choke load on the anode and output coupling caps.

[​IMG]

In the interest of fairness, both use the same mains TX and psu choke, both use a 5Y3 rectifier, with choke input and Mundorf HV+ cap, followed by an LC filter to each channel.

They have many similar characteristics, but also interesting differences.

10. sjs

I used a 0.5 for years before I got my Reference :D

Interesting problem with the psu, hopefully he doesn't have a massive collection of singles :eek:

chris@panteg likes this.
  11. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

He has a number of excellent 45 rpm lps, so is sending it off for repair.

Lovely looking amps those, I really fancy getting a triode amp again this year.

12. sjs

Hope he gets it sorted and can listen to his singles.

Glad you like the look of the amps, thanks

chris@panteg likes this.
  13. BD-Audio

BD-Audio Trade: BD Audio

SJS amplifiers are timeless, much like Voyd turntables. Keep up the good work.

chris@panteg and hifinutt like this.
  14. sjs

This year marked the debut of SJS Electroacoustics Arcadia amplifiers at the Munich High End show, probably the largest high end audio trade fair in Europe.

[​IMG]

Two SJS Arcadia Model 3 Enhanced MM phono stage amplifiers were present, one in the Living Voice room and the other in the Engström room.

The Living Voice room featured the Vox Olympian and Vox Elysium loudspeakers, partnered with vintage Kondo M77 and Gakuoh amplifiers. the vinyl front end was the Grand Prix Audio Monaco 2.0 turntable, with a Kuzma 4-point tonearm, and a Fuuga MC cartridge connected via a Living Voice step-up transformer to the Model 3 in oak with natural aluminium panels.

[​IMG]

The Engström room featured the Vox Palladian & Palladiam Basso loudspeakers, partnered with Engström Monica and Lars pre and power amp combination, or the new Arne 300B integrated amplifier. The vinyl front end was a Kuzma Stabi M turntable, with Stogi S 12 VTA tonearm and Van den Hul MC catridge with a Kondo SFz step-up-transformers to the Model 3 in walnut with black aluminium panels.

[​IMG]

Both Model 3 phono stages used in Munich were a customised version of the Enhanced Model 3. They were voiced in collaboration with Kevin Scott of Living Voice ahead of the show and feature NOS Shinkoh tantalum film resistors and Duelund Audio CAST copper coupling capacitors.

SJS Arcadia Model 3 phono amplifiers are available for demonstration at Definitive Audio in Nottingham, or here in Manchester.

hifinutt and Take5 like this.