1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sliding barn door for bathroom - need wheels and rail...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by magentawhale, May 16, 2018.

1. magentawhale

magentawhale can't carry a tuna

Hi, I have just finished making a door for our recently renewed the bathroom. It's made of solid oak floor planks, and weighs quite a bit. Due to both (limited) space and aesthetics, we decided to make the door sliding. I am looking for a wheel and rail system, which should be able to hold about 75 kg...does anyone have some tips on where these can be bought online? Shipping needs to be available to The Netherlands, btw.

2. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

What about patio door tracks, they must be able to handle a fair bit of weight as they mostly support glass. It might need to be rebated into the top/bottom of the door.

3. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

4. magentawhale

Thanks, these would definitely work, but we really like the appearance of a genuine barn door, that is with the wheels visible on the outside of the door. Some rebating needs to be done still for the latch that holds the door in place on the underside.

5. blossomchris

blossomchris I am not searching, I know what I am looking for.

Try Hafele,

https://www.hafele.com/com/en/info/niederlande/12267/

They make some of the best quality commercial hardware, frequently specified by professionals (I am not to be included within this group btw) available worldwide.

May I ask what your method of construction was used for the door?

Bloss

gintonic likes this.
  6. magentawhale

7. magentawhale

Thanks. The door is made from 18 mm thick floor planks. It is a ledged and braced door: 5 planks form the actual door, which is approximately 90 cm's wide. The three horizontal rails (top, middle and bottom rails) run across the entire width of the door, and the stiles are inset between these. There are two diagonal braces, which are cut at an angle to fit nicely in the corners where the rails and stiles meet. The entire door has been screwed together, with countersunk screws covered by oak plugs made using a plug cutter drill. I hope my explanation makes sense: it's quite hard to explain in Dutch for me already, let alone in English... I'll try to post some pictures of the door as soon as I've figured out how to.

8. blossomchris

That was a first class description, and sound method of construction. In some ways it was a shame it was not framed, ledged and braced as this would have suited most applications. My concern is if the top rail is below the top of the door an infill in oak may be required to accommodate head fixed door gear if you select certain types. please weight the door, if possible to match with the gear max. loading.

It would be good to see some photos along with the sliding door gear you think may be appropriate.

Bloss

9. magentawhale

10. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

11. magentawhale

What? How did you do that? Thanks!

12. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

In the post editor, click on the icon/button that looks like a landscape and copy your link/URL for the picture into the box provided. Then click on 'insert'. Then click on 'post reply' as normal.

If you are making things that sturdy you should be posting on the 'Manly' thread.

13. blossomchris

Any chance of a pic of the door head, or is it the same as the stile pic.
    This door looks well made and mighty heavy, commercial gear may be required.

Bloss

14. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

15. magentawhale

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the entire door, taken before the wooden plugs were placed. The wheels shown are not attached to the door, and are not fit for the task - they're made of nylon without a bearing, and will most probably wear out very quickly when in use. They do however give an idea of how I'd like the door to be eventually. The door weighs 65 kg.

16. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

17. magentawhale

I'll have a look over there - thanks!

18. blossomchris

The problem with orthodox sliding door gear is it is usually fixed into the head/top edge of the door (so it is partially obscured).
    If this is not possible, the best place to look for fittings as your pic, would be more an industrial supplier. The only occasion I have
    ever seen similar to your pic was on a bulk carrier, which will be over the top for a oak bathroom door.

Bloss

19. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Not much help, but at least you will know it can be done....a recent USA visit, the wet room door in my room was a large and heavy glass thing. It had big wheels attached to the top which ran along the top of a solid metal bar that was semi-invisibly attached to the wall above the door opening (on the inside wet room side). Was plenty strong enough for your door.

Proper work of art that door you have made...

20. Operajulian

Operajulian Opera Julian