1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

SME 3009 S2 tonearm cable rewire

Discussion in 'classic' started by djdstone, May 25, 2019.

1. djdstone

djdstone pfm Member

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic shield of the four pin din connector on the original SME3009 tonearm cable? I’d like to rewire with a longer run of cable (as it’s very short) and don’t want to damage it.

2. slavedata

slavedata pfm Member

There is a little indent in the top edge of the plastic cover. Press this then pullout the metal shield.

3. djdstone

djdstone pfm Member

Thanks - do you mean the end where the cable exits or the plug end?

4. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

The triangular cover snaps on over the long edges of the terminal block. Rather than use the blade of a flat blade screwdriver, I'd recommend a 1/2" to 3/4" wide chisel inserted between block and cover along one long side to pries the triangular cover off that side of the terminal block. Then, by firmly tilting the cover away from that side of the block, the other side should release. If not, then give the other side a pries with the chisel after getting the first side free of the block.

BTW, I've just done so with a spare SME wiring harness here and the cover came off easily. YMMV.

P.S. As these are so old nowadays, you may want to warm up the triangular cover with a hair dryer before attempting removal. This should help prevent cracking.

Last edited: May 29, 2019