1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

So the election was about Brexit after all

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Philim, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Philim

Philim pfm Member

So despite the general opinion that the election was about NHS, rise of Corbyn popularity, austerity etc. the reality was that it came down to Brexit again.

Data out today shows Tories were the party of Brexiteers/those who oppose immigration and Labour were the choice for Remainers/those who want to maintain ties with Europe.
    The Tory position I understand but the Labour position I find very odd as the position between the two parties manifestos on Brexit were almost identical. I guess that comes down to public perception of their views and labour were very vague on their brexit position and not really challenged on how they would achieve their very loose goals whereas the Tories maintained a deal/no deal position knowing they would likely be negotiating in the near future which perception wise turned off many voters.

Interestingly most other single issues were further down the agenda on which does also question the Corbyn success which wasn't really down to the whole country moving to a Marxist left but more seeking a softer Brexit with no other alternative.

Equally strange was the lack of attraction to the Lib Dems if this was peoples single most important issue. I suspect that people viewed this as a wasted vote and it came back to hard brexit/soft brexit (even though there is no such thing).

2. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

The Lib Dems were offering another referendum which hardly anybody wanted because:-

a) Article 50 is already triggered so we will leave anyway.

b) Many people are already sick of referenda/ elections and don`t want another.

c) The numpties in the sticks have not yet worked out what a disaster Brexit will be so would vote the same way as before anyway.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is more complex than that and I speak as a long-term Lib Dem who voted Labour. I'm sure I am not the only one of my ilk who voted tactically to try and keep the Tories out. The damage they were doing to this country (and are continuing to do) simply had to be stopped or at least reduced and that was more of a priority than what I view as a eminently sensible LD policy on a second referendum. As it happened I needn't have voted tactically as Labour romped home here, but there was some doubt that would happen. The simple reality is whatever I did would have made no difference. Where I live there is no difference in representation between voting LD and not turning up.

The UK electoral system is so flawed and biased all one can really do is vote against the worst option, and that is exactly what I did and will continue to do until we obtain a real democracy.

4. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

I live in the sticks of Carmarthenshire and object to being referred to as a numpty.

You're welcome to your south London.

5. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

It was multi-faceted. That's what made the outcome so unpredictable. Let's not forget the Tories were only saved from *losing* their majority by hoovering up unionist votes in Scotland. Assuming the SNP got the message, I can't see that happening next time.

6. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Yes but are you a Brexit voting one? That's the key point.

7. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

Yes, I voted Brexit. Doesn't make me a numpty though. How f**king rude!!

8. TheDecameron

No need to swear. Post #4, you self identified as one. Denumptification is easy and straight forward.

9. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

You haven't quite managed it yet then.

10. TheDecameron

I believe the "metropolitan elite" member said " numpties out in the sticks" and not "PFM member so and so in XXXShire", come on down.

11. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

I think Barrymagrec was joking. Dry quality too.
    Of course those really believing in such daft generalisations such as "numpties in the sticks" are by definition numpties.
    So dry humour from Barry there, unless I'm very much mistaken.

12. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

Nothing elite about metropolitan. A generalisation about "numpties out in the sticks" is both inclusive and offensive. Dry humour?

13. TheDecameron

Are there other trigger issues or allergies you'd like to make people aware of or is it just a circumscribed "numpties out in the sticks" issue?

14. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

There is a touch of facetiousness about most of my posts in off topic, sadly this is often missed - my fault obviously.

I have never been referred to as a member of the metropolitan elites before, it`s quite fun, even though I would happily live in the sticks if circumstances allowed.

Generalisations by definition don`t apply to everybody so I can`t really see why anybody should take offence but I apologise to those who feel slighted for any reason.

15. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

It's the disrespectfulness. This site is full of toffs and elitists. I don't belong in this company, not nice people to mix with (there are a few exceptions). I'm outta here.

16. TheDecameron

^ Now look what you've done.
    I know your sort Barry- anything north of Watford is the Sticks an' it's populated by bare arsed savages and I know what Im talking about.
    I hope Steve finds it in his heart to forgive and come back.

17. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I disagree.

18. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Well now I am apparently not just a member of the metropolitan elites but a toff as well - I have been north of Watford but luckily managed to get back to safety in one piece.

19. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

fwiw I recently was informed I'm currently rural Liberal elite.

Fair enough and apologies - my mistake. I'm prone to taking posts too literally.
    fwiw I have been accused of membership of the Liberal branch of the same, being a communist (unintentional flattery, but deffo not true), and a foreign pro-palestinian activist.
    And that's just in off topic!

20. TheDecameron

We're all North of Watford.