1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

so who owns a hoilday home /2nd property

Discussion in 'off topic' started by petespeed, Jan 9, 2019.

1. petespeed

petespeed Active Member

i take it you dont have one then !:D

Mr Cat likes this.
  2. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

We've had a second home in the Lake District for the last ten years. We don't let it out, it's got all our stuff in there & we want to be able to use it when we want. SWMBO, who still works, has an office set up there, so we go there for a week or so every month. She enjoys the sun, so we go somewhere warm every now and again. Love going up there, love getting home to Suffolk.

3. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

The UK would be a good start. And I say that as someone who could afford one but chooses not to. Before the pontifications and Arkless style snide comments start.

Snufkin likes this.
  4. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

we have a holiday home in devon but strangely enough prices for flats have not gone up at all in the 8 years we have had it , houses yes but not flats . we used to let a good number of folks use it for nothing as a sort of favour to them [ just a contribution to gas] but the wear and tear and hassle was too much . so we stopped and now just have it for a few . hassles are that you have to check it every 30 days to keep the insurance valid , and its not always easy getting that insurance

we have to pay full council tax and water rates as no exemptions allowed and no meter able to be fitted , upsides are that its incredibly relaxing and when one has had enough of the mountains of rubbish , smoke , traffic and grime , you can just jump on a train and enjoy a break

of course now we would be hit with stamp duty of about 4k which is a real pain

5. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

and this is a very important point , some towns are almost desolate in the winter as full of holiday homes which can destroy a village . fortunately we don`t have that problem where we are but its a valid point

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...to-restricting-second-home-ownership-cornwall

ff1d1l likes this.
  6. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Sounds like we will be safe another 5000 miles further Sarf then. If he turns up I'll point him to where the Mambas hang out.

He's welcome to our inherited time share though in sweaty land.

7. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

The locals don’t have to sell to outsiders.

They could sell for 50% less to locals and then have no reason to whine.

kennyh likes this.
  8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Not really, if the property they want to buy from the proceeds is priced at the local market rate.

darrenyeats likes this.
  9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I doubt they’ll even extend to winning an election!

10. Ginger

Ginger pfm Member

The proposal in Cornwall to ensure new homes are for full-time residents: how on earth do the authorities enforce that once enacted? How do they ensure wealthy parents aren't fronting a purchase for holiday let? How long does a resident have to occupy the property and who checks? Under what law? What do they do in event of a breach of terms? When can an owner sell, and to whom? What if their circumstances/employment change?

11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

My parents have a place in Italy. The authorities there charge heavier com.unity tax for non residents. To prove you are residente you have to live there continuously for so many months and report this to the commune. If you lie, it's fraud. Or alternatively, this being Calabria, they have great respect for your family and let you live in the big house on the hill without paying tax.

12. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

We thought about this and decided it was only really worth it once we’d retired. Too much hassle to keep it up for letting, we’d only use it 3 weeks a year tops and we’d rather spend our scarce holidays somewhere different each year.

13. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Occasionally, we have visited somewhere so lovely that we've said 'wouldn't it be great to have a place here, so we could come again and again'. But we decided long ago that if you have a holiday home, unless you have significant resources and free time, you feel obliged to use it for most of your holidays, which means you're not going other places which might be different, but just as lovely.

14. wacko

wacko pfm Member

I think this is right answer for most people, especially if the holiday home is more than a 5 hour drive away. Once you get into your 60s the attraction of dashing around to tick places off the 'to visit list' wanes; and the attraction of going to place you know and love (and has your stuff) for several weeks at a time waxes.

MikeMA, Suffolk Tony and doctorf like this.
  15. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Absolutely. There was a time when gadding about the world was good fun, but nowadays flying has become tiresome and stressful. It takes us five hours to get to our place 'oop North, but it's an easy run with minimal aggravation. No worries about leaving stuff behind, or having to unpack and repack.

16. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

How about a 100 percent sales tax on non local sales which went into a locally beneficial fund, and if subsequently used as a holiday home a 1000 percent top up on the community charge for the property.

Just thinking out loud here, probably wouldnt fly.

17. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

60 isn't that old these days! A lot of us have spent the last 45 years working and look forward to seeing new places and partaking in new experiences.

I plan on easing back a bit leaving the kids behind to do the work for some of the year.

18. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Hmm and what if city folk respond with "how about tax raised in the city stays in the city" ?

kennyh likes this.
  19. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I was in a place in Cornwall last November, that is clearly now, populated with many second homes for. I was speaking with a business owner who runs a café, they keep it open and it is viable over the closed season to support the incoming builders who work on repairing and refurbing 2nd homes and the small number of locals. But she was of the opinion that most of the locals have now gone elsewhere and are settled elsewhere, and that if you scared away the 2nd home owners you would kill the village. Locals that had moved away elsewhere were now settled, and would not come back - because there is no local industry to come back to......

Her view that anything punitive might have some impact on future sales, but that it will not reverse what has already happened. She also pointed out, that whoever people sell to (locals or second home owners), properties will still be sold at market value.

doctorf likes this.
  20. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Special case. Like community charge.