1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

so who owns a hoilday home /2nd property

Discussion in 'off topic' started by petespeed, Jan 9, 2019.

1. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Has Corbyn got £40 billion tucked away that none of us are aware of?

2. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Rent controls-including holiday lets, compulsory letting for 50% of the time? The aim being "yes enjoy your holiday pad" but the cost of ownership includes a contribution to the local social housing provision......pie in the sky I suppose.

3. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

My folks have a property in Dunkeld; they're retired, so up there a lot, but they also rent it out, more so for salmon and trout fishing season as it's right next to the Tay. The money they get from American and Japanese fisherfolk tourists is downright daft, but they pay

They have a local company that manage it for them and they do all the work re cleaning and fixing etc.

Once the season is over then it theirs again (well, ours) as my brother and I are named on the property now as we'll be taking it over in the next 2 years or so.

We all go a lot as it's a lovely break away and superb in winter with Dunkeld being a lovely village and some great pubs too ;) Plus handy for me when I want to nip up for a day doing some stone lifting as all the manhood stones are within an hours or so drive :D

Anyways; the folks did have a property in Torrevieja, near Alicante and sold it just before the crash also; it wasn't getting used as much and the whole place was becoming a white-washed expat town... Crap really

More money in the UK market they say!

4. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I don't know about it not flying but it is beyond simplistic.

Take ( virtually ) any seaside village in this country and analyse what the local industries are. Then ask yourself what jobs there would be for the locals if only locals lived there.

The villages would die inside of two years.

Places like Robins Hood Bay stayed quaint and unspoilt for years only because there were no jobs there for years and years until the influx of new money. Same in the South West.

Even houses let out to visitors on a weekly basis generally stay empty in the winter months , and tourism is the only industry there is for the majority of villages. Someone has to own the houses that are let out whether the owner is local or not.

wacko likes this.
  5. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Well, as I say, I was only really thinking aloud.
    Robin Hoods Bay, historically, would have been fishing?
    These days people can be self employed via the internet, selling via Amazon (hi Rich), ebay, Etsy, etc
    Property offered at a 50% discount to localish people doing this would have full timers moving in. Craftspeople working from home or a small home workshop possible too. Maybe not enough, but real people and it could grow.
    I don't know.
    But it is oft spouted that there is a UK housing crisis, yet many dwellings are lived in only a fraction of the year, leaving others empty at that time...

The economic disadvantage with holiday lets/holiday homes is that they are poorer contributors to the areas economy than a full time family inhabiting them - they turn up with a 4 x 4 boot full of Waitrose's finest, consume that while they are there then bugger off home again, moaning how expensive the local shop was when they popped in to buy a paper.
    Of course that's IF there was a local shop, not really economical to have one, or a school, or a post office when the village is unoccupied 50% of the year.
    Holiday homes in villages are opioid-like, and going back once set off down that course is very difficult.

Having said that, our neighbours across the field live in Birkenhead, come out most weekends and any free time, and shop locally as they are aware of the issues...And have had me do work on instruments thereby contributing to the local economy to my personal satisfaction!

6. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

In laws had a house there, lots of stories about houses being bought with suitcases of used notes.

Their neighbours were done for coke smuggling just before christmas; some of these old pensioners just don't know when to retire.

TheDecameron likes this.
  7. tones

tones Tones deaf

A couple of years ago, Switzerland had a referendum (the Swiss spend their lives at referendums) on second homes, and decided on a ban on second homes in areas (generally tourist/ski areas) which have more than 20% of such homes. Unsurprisingly, well-known Swiss resorts are all well over the 20% mark, e.g. Verbier (59%), Crans Montana (62%), Zermatt (56%), St. Moritz (55%) and Davos (56%). Building permits issued before the referendum are still valid, and I believe there's quite a market for them.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Had a holiday flat on the beach near Tenby, Sth. Pembs but got fed up with 325 mile journeys, incompetent local agent, working whenever I was there and the double poll tax which came in 1990 something.

Now have two local flats which house happy renters at less than market rates which I can get to in ten minutes if and when needed.

It doesn't matter if it's an owned property or rented property; it can accommodate the same number of people !

hifinutt likes this.
  9. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Yes he has. From you.

10. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

This idea might tickle your fancy, but like a lot of your notions it does not appear in the Labour Manifesto and no-one in the party has even hinted that it is an objective for Labour.

11. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

We own and self-manage a FHL and it's largely been quite successful, although turnarounds are a bit of a bind (though not too bad as it's only a couple of miles from our family home). The actual income isn't great (I'd be surprised if we clear £10kpa after costs on it), but I'm rather fond of it regardless. I sometimes prefer it to our own home...

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Jez, are you left-handed as well ?:D

13. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

That's rather sinister...

14. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

(Thinks...I've got a holiday home yet I'm left-handed! Now very worried...)

15. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

hmmm me too only our flat is no longer a holiday home. we let it out to a local on a 1 year rolling tenancy

ff1d1l likes this.
  16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

That’s not important. Can you still remember where it is dear?

17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Nope ! Obviously misconstrued (as well as politically far left)

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve got a kind of crappy delapidated brick shed thing in the back yard, does that count as a 2nd home? Its got a bog and a really ugly shower in it and everything.

19. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

That depends. Do you spend bank holidays and summer weekends there?

TheDecameron likes this.
  20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m seldom more than a stones throw away.