1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Soundbar for tv

Discussion in 'audio' started by koi, Oct 9, 2018.

1. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Try the HEOS as well if you can, I compared the old HEOS sound bar and sub to the Sonos, and it was better sounding but with slightly clunkier functionality. I see though that since I did that they’ve both upgraded. Richer Sounds is the place to go for this.

2. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Another vote for Sonos. I have a Panasonic tv attached to the wall in the bedroom, with the soundbar attached to the wall above it with the wall bracket you can get from Sonos. Sound from the tv is better, plus we use the Sonos for music - fed from a WD NAS via wifi etc.

I also have Sonos stuff elsewhere. Easy, convenient and more than acceptable sound quality.

Don't need a soundbar in the main room, as have the main rig there, where a Denon receiver does surround duties etc..

3. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I do something similar only with a Teac micro cd receiver and a pair of old Warfedale diamonds. It sounds really good imho. The soundbars I've heard were poor in comparison, ugly and overpriced for what they were.

4. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

^A lot depends on what you want it for. The sound quality on a lot of broadcast tv is shocking, but if you have a better source then a soundbar will be the limiting factor. I have a Sonos Beam connected to the tv, which is used 90% of the time, but I also take the optical out to the main rig for the times that I want something better (mainly when I stream music video).

Andrew C! likes this.
  5. zippy

zippy pfm Member

I'd say think twice (or more) before buying a soundbar.
    My experience with them has been negative, and eventually found I could get much better quality sound at less cost with a cheap AV receiver and speakers.

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

My Sony has RCA line outs, which I use to feed the h/phone amp and then on to the pre. However, I gather many TVs nowadays don't have line out sockets, although I believe there's still a way to get a line signal to an external amp. For ultimate s.q. and volume control, surely nothing else comes close.

7. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

They usually have a dig out of some sort, optical will isolate the signal from the nasty tv ground. From there there are plenty of cheap (£20) chinese DAC boxes to convert for a quick and simple connection (cheap wireless headphones for example). This will possibly be a cleaner route than the telly's analogue out anyway.

Andrew C! likes this.
  8. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

I just bought Q Acoustics M4 from Amazon. It's almost half price now. Fantastic sound for the TV. This sound bar is for 40inch and above.

9. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

For the same money a pair of active monitors on either side of the screen would provide better sound quality. Was this a viable option that was considered and dismissed or was there, for example, no room on either side of the screen?

10. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

I am wondering if there are any lipsync problems if you use an audio amplifier or active speakers to replace the built-in TV speakers. It really bugs me when the sound is out of sync with the pictures.

jackbarron likes this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Don't know why it should be when you've got another (cheap Chinese) box and 2 extra connections. Fine if there's no RCA line-out, but not otherwise. My I/C is over 4 metres long and any music prog. (the Proms, e.g.) is as convincing as any of my other 3 sources, with visuals to match.

12. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Because the conversion is isolated from the video processing, which is inherently noisy. You're also bypassing the telly's volume circuitry, which is cheap as chips...

13. Ali T

Ali T pfm Member

If you don’t mind buying secondhand, the Yamaha YSP1000 can be had for 1-200 quid. Decent sound for a soundbar.

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Surely, taking line outs ALSO bypasses the TV's volume control. It certainly does in mine and I understood that 'line out' had no connection with volume circuitry in any usual audio application. 'Twould be a bit pointless otherwise, as you could simply plug into the headphone socket. I've never had a TV where RCA line out didn't obviate the need to go through the TV's volume circuitry, so I'm scratching my head here.:confused:

15. gints

gints pfm Member

There can be if digital out is used. You can adjust lipsync on tv digital out in tv options.

16. Andrew C!

Using the optical out into either the Sonos, or indeed from my Sony tv in the living room into the main Denon av amp, I have no issues with lip sync.

Modern TVs, and add on equipment usually have a setting to adjust this. All the relevant kit I have has this facility. For example, Sky Q does.

17. Tin

Tin Well-Known Member

Usually you can change delays to compensate for that.

My sound setup is not 100% perfectly aligned to the screen, but it gets very, very close.

18. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Mine allows for fixed or variable so I'm not certain that it's entirely seperate but anyway we were talking about the case of no analog outs...

19. Andrew C!

Not many modern TVs seem to have phono outs, do they?

20. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Something of a bygone age...