1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Soundcare superspikes?

Discussion in 'audio' started by JTC, Jan 12, 2013.

1. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Anyone used these? Any good? I'm looking for something that gives the benefits of spiking but preferably without puncturing the carpet and ideally possible to move the speakers without removing the spikes (i.e. sliding).

The idea of a captive spike is novel but how well does it work and is it going to work properly on a carpeted/underlayed floor?

2. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Never tried them but some of thier marketing is a bit dubious.

I also don't understand their measurements. Surely the key to a "good" spike is to rigidly couple the speaker to the floor. However their measurements show the superspike as coupling less energy to the floor (or pressure microphone) than with no spike:

http://www.soundcare.no/measurements.html

Therefore it's a decoupling device.

Have I misunderstood?

YNWOAN likes this.
  3. croak

croak Registered User

They work really well on tiles but are not very useful on carpet.

4. John

John TDS free

5. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

I use six sets of the things but would never dream of using them on carpet.
    On hard floors they are great.

YNWOAN likes this.
  6. Markus S

Markus S 41 - 29

I don't often bother to recommend SSC speaker feet, but they might be very worthwhile in your situation, John.

7. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

The problem as i see it is, with 70kg speakers, the spikes will never really be absolutely level; they'll naturally start to sink into the timber floorboards.
    I'd get 2 boards to put under the spiked speakers which allows you to try new positions without lifting them. Then once you've found the right spot for them, remove the boards and screw 4 No8 wood screws into the floor for the speaker spikes to sit in.

8. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

I have used them on wood floors and they work great. Will also save you floors from being scratched.

9. andy831

andy831 pfm Member

I use them under equipment. I honestly have not noticed any sound improvement but it does lift equipment off the surface they are standing on and give better ventilation and airflow in my Hi Fi storage cupboard.

10. rontoolsie

rontoolsie pfm Member

Being able to easily move the speakers around before commiting them to a single location is absolutely essential. And the board idea is the best way of doing this.

One thing to consider though...there are certain 'boards' that are designed to be used under speakers with spikes *removed* and can (an in my experience have) improved considerably over spiked speakers. Then you have not only the better support, but also the ability to slide them around without having to then remove them and carefully balance the speakers up on spikes at that location.

11. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

I looked at those superspikes and thought they were pricey. They may be a solution for laminate flooring.

I am using concrete slabs covered in crushed velvet. The spikes rest nicely on top and when levelled the speaker is solidly stable and isolated from the floorboards. I might add a cheap granite slab available in various colours for fashion effect.

As Cereal Killer said phillips head wood screws for the spikes to rest in may be a good idea.

I would only really consider the superspike if you didnt want to mark laminate flooring

12. bob atherton

bob atherton pfm Member

How much do they cost? I bought some Naim Chip equivalent things from the internet. They are smaller than Chips and are very neat. These improved the sound of my IBLs a lot; they are a no-brainer in my system. IIRC a set of 8 cost me about £10. Very good VFM IMHO.

13. croak

croak Registered User

A pack of 3 adhesives should be between 25 and 30 GBP.

I use threaded version with ae1 stands under Audiophysic step 2.

Sounded better to me then std spikes besides protecting the tiles. I suspect with spikes on a ceramic floor there could be some "chatter"? Perhaps the zinc plate in the super spike damps this? It is a sharper point too, having seen one cut open.

14. Conster

Conster pfm Member

Anyone compare these to Iso acoustics GAIA decouplers?

15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I have a similar solution to protect hard floors. They are widely available in brown at a cost of £0.01 each, and have an attractive design of the Queen's head on one side. Larger ones cost £0.02 each, while alternatives with a silvery finish to match different decor are only marginally more expensive.

I can supply a selection covering most eventualities for only a few pounds.

Woodface likes this.
  16. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

I sold some of these (for electronics) a few weeks ago after finding them in a box.

They are just fancy spikes, no more. See the previous post.

17. Conster

Conster pfm Member

I have used them with great success with Royd Doublets but was wondering how much more effective the iso acoustics are.

18. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

The GAIA are on another level in SQ terms- in practical terms they are not.

19. Conster

Conster pfm Member

How so?

20. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

l have demoed/owned both.:)

1. You get a small lift in sound quality with the Superspikes.. and makes moving speakers/speaker stands a breeze.

2. One gets a large lift in sound quality- however moving speaker/speaker stands a PITA.

Went with Superspikes under the stands and these sit on Townsend Podiums which in my opinion are simply unmatched in speaker isolation.

All in my opinion, system, room etc.:D