1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Spaghetti

Discussion in 'off topic' started by BJP, Sep 12, 2019.

1. bor

bor queue jumper

How does this end ?

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It...never...ends.

The same bunch of middle aged blokes turn up tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that, and argue about pointless sh*t over...and over...and over again. It never ends until you die. Even then they just carry on without you.

MikeMA, Seeker_UK, Rob998 and 3 others like this.
  3. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

Spaghetti is indeed plural, but I’ve never heard the singular used in Italy, unlike raviolo...

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

In France they call them "Les spaghettis".

5. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

With variations.

6. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

It's somewhat like a Rube Goldberg chain reaction, but rather than finely engineered discrete parts working together in execution of a singular task, it's a series of banal ego farts, tea & biscuit sensibilities, and insufferable posturing ending with absolutely nothing of value tumbling from its rhetorical anus.

7. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

That's genius. I now plan to do away with my scales and measure all frequently used ingredients relative to bits of my anatomy.

8. Joe Hutch

* 'Heath Robinson' would be a suitable Anglo-centric equivalent.

9. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

How deep are your cooking pots?

10. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Yes, you are right. It was a direct, but wrong, translation from the article in Italian. They used the term "attenuanti" and "estenuanti" is also an Italian word but means something else.

11. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

And yet here you are...

12. Joe Hutch

Ah, the old Bee Gees classic.

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

And so are you...

14. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I’m enjoying the thread Not moaning about it.

It’s what forums are all about.

15. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

We're here, unless this is one of those pesky Talosian illusions.

Joe

16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

17. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Damned frogs.....they also call them les pates (plural, would you believe!) instead of la pasta. They also claim white truffle is not really a truffle and is of little interest, because why? because they ain't got any, the frogs!

18. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

But to come to the point, one "spaghetto," and a multitude of "spaghetti." Like beans, you can drop a bean on the kitchen floor, but you will eat beans. Colloquially, you can also say, in Italian, "Let's make ourselves "a spaghetto", tonight! Singular, referring to both the single operation of making it, and to the single finished product of the pasta in the bowl waiting to be eaten.

19. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

They even call focaccia "fougasse"!

20. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!! The monstrous fiends! If you have worse in store, please spare me.

In Israel, where they speak Hebrew in which the same letter is used for "O" and "U", they sometimes manage to translate/transliterate it into "fukkaccia."