1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker repair?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by winchman, Apr 16, 2018 at 3:56 PM.

1. winchman

winchman pfm Member

B&W DM 100i speakers picked them up recently for the shed, but they sound bad looks like both tweeters are not working so how do I narrow it down and whats the cheapest fix?
    I can use a meter and an iron just need a few pointers

2. john & Jake

john & Jake Jake was smarter than me

Hi Disconnect tweeters touch tweeter pos and neg terminals briefly to an AA battery. Tweeters should click/crackle if good. Same for the other drive units.
    If you know how to measure ohms with meter (I dont) put meter across terminals, should be 6 or 8 ohms. If miles out or nothing then broken.

this seller has four of these in different colours probably a good match
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-W-Bowe...211293?hash=item239d23995d:g:C~UAAOSwx5lauS2a

3. winchman

winchman pfm Member

Thanks I will investigate

4. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

I have a pair of original tweeters which certainly look the same as the ones in the DM100i... I would have to compare type numbers etc with your old one's to be sure. I'd be wanting around the same as the ebay seller though so not the cheapest option... if they are just for the shed you could use some generic Chinese tweeters for a tenner each I guess..

5. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased