1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Speakers in Seinfeld

Discussion in 'classic' started by PaulMB, Jan 29, 2012.

1. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Here is one for the real nutters in PFM: Just saw a Seinfeld episode, listed as "01-03 Male Unbonding" so presumably it was the first series, third episode. In Seinfeld's room there are two big speakers, very 1980s, 3-way with what looks like either a horn tweeter with a grill or a ribbon tweeter, and a big, maybe 10 inch, woofer, and a smallish mid-range. They look familiar; anyone with nothing better to do know what they are? The episode must be around 1990 because they mention the Berlin Wall coming down.

2. Ewen1970

Ewen1970 The Ocean Doesn't Want Me

Not a clue, but I always wondered what the turntable was in Hugh's office in House.

Maybe your PFM nutter will be able to answer my query to.

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit....

3. John

John TDS free

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recall episodes with a pair that looked like Yamaha NS-1000's.

4. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

Ewen

Turntable is a Sota (Cosmos I believe) made here in the U.S

5. joel

joel Painter of Dragons, Maker of Mirrors

Drivers look like vintage EV units. Not Aristocrats: they were a 2-way and a different shape, but the top horn is almost certainly a T35.
    Thinking about it, the Paul Klipsch connection with EV is very strong, so maybe they're Klipsch (which would have used EV drivers anyway).
    One or the other brand I would think.

6. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Not EV, not Klipsch, not JBL. I think they're probably "white van" speakers.

7. joel

Well, they're certainly not JBL or Yamaha. Could well be White Van although you'd expect to see at least half a dozen drivers on white van speakers of the period...

8. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

At this point I don't know if you are commenting on the ones I described in the Original Post, or the ones in the photos posted by John. They are NOT the same!
    The ones in Series 1, Episode 3, "Male Unbonding", seemed to be on low stands that tilted them back by about 10 degrees.

9. joel

The ones in John's photos for me. Sorry for any confusion.
    Can't tell from the description what the ones you are talking about might be. Although you say there could be a ribbon or horn tweeter. Normally, a horn tweeter will be horizontal (like the one in John's photo), but a ribbon will vertical. Normally, but not necessarily so.

10. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Here are some more clues then. They are all matt black, no veneer, There is a 12" woofer that reaches almost to the edge of the front baffle, with light grey edge around it (the woofer). The mid-range and tweeter are aligned vertically on the left. The mid has a chrome or silver surround, the tweeter has a "grill" of thin slats in front of it. On the right, there is a blue brand label, and below that, aligned vertically, 2 dials, presumable for setting the mid and tweeter levels.
    The boxes sit on a low metal frame that tilts them back 10-15 degrees

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Not Klipsch. The only vaguely similar Klipsch models (Heresy, Cornwall, Forte), all have the horn drivers centrally aligned above the bass unit. No idea what they are, maybe something a bit more downmarket from Radio Shack or equivalent, IIRC they used to sell cheap speakers that were kind of based on JBL, Klipsch etc ideas.

12. joel

The ones in the photo could be EV. They seem to use EV drivers. White Van Man speakers from that time usually had at least 6 drivers...

13. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

The ones I'm referring too are either black or dark blue, on low metal stands, they lean backwards, the mid and tweeter go up vertically on the left, on the upper right side of the baffle there are two knobs, presumably to set driver levels. They are not the ones in the photo. I have the "avi" file of the episode but do not know how to "capture" a still image and also I would not know how to post it.

14. John

John TDS free

15. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Thanks John, I can't make the link work on my computer but it is definitely the speakers in Season One, Episode 4, called "Male Unbonding." I got it wrong at the top, not Season One episode 3, but Episode 4. Sorry.

16. John

John TDS free

You can try searching utube for "Seinfeld male unbonding". The search result shows Kramer sitting on a blue couch. UK links to utube usually don't work for me here in the US.

17. Puffin

Puffin pfm Member

I feel they may be Heco. I can't find that particular model. Some of their bass units from the 80s/90s look similar.

18. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Yes, I looked on Google and there were some Heco woofers with a light grey surround. But Seinfeld's have that strange tweeter and the blue logo. Would have thought more American or Jap. (I'm very disappointed in PFM, I thought the answer would flash out in about 20 minutes!)

19. Yank

I don't see any EV drivers there. The mid is too small to be an 8HD, and the tweeter is too large to be a T35.

20. Yank